? about Crank Pulley vs. The Other 2 Pulleys

Jesussoldier

Oct 14, 2008
Hi guys, I have an 02 Mustang G.T., & I was going to install a steeda timing adjuster, and the Mech told me that I could'nt b-cuz I had a crank pulley that is to big and would'nt let me install the timing adjuster.

First I would like to know what kind of Crank Pulley do I have? (When I bought this car it was already installed) Pic Attahced

Second if just by changing the crank pulley you can increase 12 horses.

(March Performace say's; "FORD 4.6 S.F.I. FLUID DAMPENER PERFORMANCE PULLEY
New one piece design, does not require old danpener, Dyno tested at 12H.P. gain. Available as S.F.I. Approved or non-S.F.I. Approved.
Part #1158 96-2004 4.6 Mustang GT & 96-01 Cobra. S.F.I. Approved.
Note: Will not work on Mach 1")

why would I change all pulleys and get only 10 horses from Steeda (And yes I do understand what steeda underdrive pullies do) or any other companies that are saying this. I dont want to put Steeda down, b-cuz I personally love Steeda parts for my car, but why would I spent more money on three pullies if I can get just one and get more horse power out of it.

(Steeda say's; "This drag reduction results in an increase of up to 10 horsepower and increased gas mileage! Get back the horsepower and torque your belt driven accessories steal and start enjoying better performance and gas mileage today!")

Attachments

• DSCF0709.jpg
    DSCF0709.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Sponsors (?)

You have what they call a piggyback pulley on there already. As for a companies advertised gains don't believe everything you read. If 5 companies make the same size crank pulley and all claim different numbers it's due to differences in the test car or the dyno in the real world they will make the same power. You already have an underdrive pulley on there so really changing it out isn't going to gain you any power over what you already have now.

Bill

Bill thanks for your reply. Ohh, so that’s what they call a piggyback pulley. Ok, I heard that they are bad, and they can cause problems. I know I already have an under drive pulley on there, but it’s a piggyback, and I rather put a Steeda pulley system on it. I know I won’t see any power gains, but I rather not have problems in the future.

Attachments

• DSCF0712.jpg
    DSCF0712.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 65
I've heard the same thing about piggybacks...been hearing it for years but honestly I really don't know if they are bad other than people saying they are bad. For years everyone said an SFI crank pulley was the way to go and now over the past few years people with 4v engines have tied back oil pump failures at high RPM back to aftermarket crank pulleys. Smaller lighter crank pulley means less dampening than a stock crank pulley. Alot of those guys have reverted back to stock pulleys and some even have sought out larger factory crank pulleys like the ones found on the automatic Mach 1 engines. Based on that and the fact that a piggyback pulley set up keeps the stock crank pulley I would say it's okay. But being that it's moved out I'm not sure how that would affect it.

I haven't heard of anyone with a 2v have an issue due to the aftermarket crank pulleys like the 4v engines have and that may be RPM related. I'd say you probably aren't going to go wrong by switching over to the Steeda pulleys and then you'll be able to use that timing adjuster as well.

Bill

I heard that supposaly piggyback pulley tend to move and cause a lot of vibration, which causes problems.
Yea your right about the 4v engines, makes sense about oil pumps failing at high RPM, now on 2v engines I’ve haven’t heard nothing bad about Steedas UDP, giving problems with vibration or any problems in general.
And yea I can use my timing adjuster. Thanks, again.