aftermarket parts

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of the CAI's here are homemade, theres a link how to make it in the sticky i believe, just order the air filter from an auto parts store.
Mufflers-same mufflers as many V8's - Flowmaster, Dynomax, Etc.
Tailpipes you can swipe from a stock 5.0 in many cases.
Racerwalsh.com
Esslinger.com
Search this forum-you'll find a multitude of information!

2.5 Inch silicon hose, 5 feet: Free from work (trash)
Some silver duct tape as mild thermal barrier around hose near block: Laying around the garage
Cheapo conical intake: $25
Fittings made with hose clamps and by butchering the old intake: Free.
Total cost: $26
Total time: 1 hour, fabrication + install
Performance gain: Unknown, valve issue and the tranny is shot, but it sounded better, maybe its just me.

You'd get more from a 2.5 - 3 inch exhaust w/straight-through muffler, though. Even catback like mine I noticed a definate improvement.

jasoncarmony said:
i bought a cai off eBay. it was for a 95 civic and it works great. i cannot tell a difference in power, but there is no power to begin with. however, i have been getting 6 mpg better each tank of gas. so i am happy, plus it looks cool.

How much did this kit cost you? And did you have to make any modifications to make it fit?

"How much did this kit cost you? And did you have to make any modifications to make it fit?"

First off, this is for an 88, so I did not have the MAF to worry about. The kit was no more than $30 and it fit pretty much right on. I don't have a pic, sorry. I used one of the rubber sleeves from the stock one, but it works. Also, just to let you know, this one does not go into the fender wall, it just sits in the engine bay. But like I said, I am getting a considerable amount of gas per gallon now. It went up by about 5-6. Awesome.

:notnice: its not much of a CAI ("cold air intake") if it just seting inside the engine bay. A real CAI picks up air from outside the engine bay, thus is why its cooler. (from the fender well, a hood scoop or sometimes down by the front air dam)
you'd get the same benifits from one of those junk chrome ricer intake tubes as you would from just buying a normal K&N air filter. Just my two cents.