Airtube question

Cobra3150

Jan 2, 2006
I just installed a set of long-tube bbk's on my 93 cobra only because the left side mac shorty was burning a hole in the #3 sparkplug wire boot. Regardless I had a heat shield on it. Anyways, I also went with the offroad h-pipe which I had laying around that has no inlet for the airtube coming down from the engine. I figured I'd just plug that up but want to make sure before I do that.
Also, the car seems like it has lost a few horses now. The throttle response is noticeably better now for some reason :shrug:, but that's ok, and I know that the h-pipe is supposed to give you more torque instead of the hp but it just doesnt seem like it has the same power as it did with the shorties. Any input? These things were hell putting on, :bang: , and I'm not taking them off. Just need some ideas as what to do to bring up the horses with the new exhaust. Thanks all.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

nevermind all

I just installed a set of long-tube bbk's on my 93 cobra only because the left side mac shorty was burning a hole in the #3 sparkplug wire boot. Regardless I had a heat shield on it. Anyways, I also went with the offroad h-pipe which I had laying around that has no inlet for the airtube coming down from the engine. I figured I'd just plug that up but want to make sure before I do that.
Also, the car seems like it has lost a few horses now. The throttle response is noticeably better now for some reason :shrug:, but that's ok, and I know that the h-pipe is supposed to give you more torque instead of the hp but it just doesnt seem like it has the same power as it did with the shorties. Any input? These things were hell putting on, :bang: , and I'm not taking them off. Just need some ideas as what to do to bring up the horses with the new exhaust. Thanks all.:flag:

Ansered my own question. Now that I've rid myself of the shorties I've also gotten rid of low-end power. Now it's in mid-range with the longtubes. Just gotta save up for that supercharger now. anyone have any feedback on those?

I have always been a fan of vortech when it comes to superchargers. I ran an s-trim on my 88 and was happy with it.

Thanks. I was figuring either that or a procharger. How much of a hp gain should I expect with an s-trim? I'm thinking of swapping out the h-pipe for an x instead. Havent decided yet. Kinda like the backpressure sound but is that backpressure bad for the valves. Read that on another site.

Usually for every 1psi = 10rwhp. An X-pipe will give you a little more power over an H-pipe in the upper rpm range. Never heard of the backpressure thing hurting the valves. I personally like the sound of H-pipes on 5.0s so thats what my 88 and 91 had.