Alive for so short a time...then shattered :(

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
The quoted post is copied/pasted from a recent "what do you drive" thread on Glocktalk.

Originally posted by Asha'man
You asked for it....;)

Car:

1992 Mustang LX
converted from automatic to manual
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
Dual Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust

513839_123_full.jpg

Motor:

1984 SVO 2.3T block bored 0.030" over
TRW forged flat-top pistons
Stock rods
Stock crank ground 0.010" under
Clevite bearings and Felpro gaskets throughout
Rebuilt head
1987 Turbocoupe lower intake manifold
1986 SVO upper intake manifold
1987 Turbocoupe 35# injectors
Polished and powdercoated 1986 SVO valve cover
Ported and ceramicoated E6 exhaust manifold
Garrett T3 turbo
Isuzu large NPR front-mount intercooler (19"x2"x15" core)
Stinger FMIC piping
Forge blowoff valve
Stinger 3" downpipe
Walbro 255lph high-pressure fuel pump
Kirban AFPR
1988 Turbocoupe LA3 EEC processor

513839_161_full.jpg

Suspension:

'88 GT swaybars
Polyurethane endlinks and tranny mount
UPR weld-in subframe connectors
2004 GT four-wheel disc brakes on '94-'95 spindles and '95 axles
Hawk HPS brake pads
2002 Bullitt 17x8 rims
Kumho Ecsta ASX 245/45/ZR17's
Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
Bilstein shocks and struts

Upcoming mods: caster/camber plates, bumpsteer kit, 3G alternator, trak-lok 8.8", adjustable rear control arms, possibly front coilovers, and lots of bodywork.

I built the motor myself (first engine build evar!) over Christmas break last year and have been bolting parts on since then. I did the engine swap over Thanksgiving break and am still finishing it up, but all I need to do is have a cat welded in and I should be good to go. The car ran 22.1 @ 64mph before the five-speed swap, and 20.0's @ 68mph all last summer - I'm hoping for solid 14's this year.

Brian

This is what it looks like after a maroon S10 4x4 rear-ended me as I was stopping for a yellow light this afternoon. I got shoved all the way into the middle of the intersection, and watched dazedly as the ******* sped away. Didn't get a tag #.

16IMGP5445small.JPG

It's at a body guy's shop right now, I'll see what happens. I've owned this car since February 2002, learned everything I know about cars on it, and the new motor that I put in over Thanksgiving break has no more than 60 miles on it as of today. In other words, HUGE emotional attachment. I was on my way to get exhaust put on it. Guess that'll have to wait. :(

I cried today for the first time in years. :(

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

The carnage has to stop!!

Unfortunately, I know how you and DR Elusive feel. Mine was the victim of a Chevy Eurosport Sedan. Here are some pics of mine. did it get both Quarter panels or just the passenger side? Mine was $5200 6 years ago, but I think mine had more labor involved since it hit the door and rocker panel. Hope you get her fixed and back on the road soon.
View attachment 494467
View attachment 494469
View attachment 494471
View attachment 494473
View attachment 494475

p.s. Make sure they keep cover your interior and also the hatch glass when doing the welding. My shop forgot to cover the back glass and it caused some spots from it. The shop made good on it though.

Thanks guys.

Ouch Glow - yours makes mine look decent. The door and rocker are untouched, luckily. Plus I'm okay with driving around with patches of primer for a while, I was planning on it anyway since the car needed quite a bit of bodywork before the accident. Yours looks like it was fixed well, though!

Brian

Thanks man. In some aspects, it was better than factory. Shop smoothed out all the waves and the welds that were left from the factory. I have been pleasantly pleased with the results and happy to have had her so far for another 6 yrs after the accident. Good luck:)

Damn man, I hope i didnt start all this.... I hate to see that fender arch crinkled, Thats not an Easy area to fix. Hopefully you can get it fixed and get it looking better then before. Yours actually might take more work then mine, but it still looks fixable. Top it all with a fresh coat of paint on the whole car and you will be golden. I would be careful about turning it in to the Insurance company though.. they seem to total out fox bodys in a heartbeat these days.. Keep us updated on how it goes.. Youll get to enjoy that turbo somemore..

Dr.

****, I'm not even gonna talk to the insurance company. All I have is liability anyway. Not that I'd get anything for the car even if I had comprehensive, since they'd total it like you said.

Brian

glowstang93 said:
Mine was $5200 6 years ago.

$5200??? :eek: And I thought it was a waste when mine cost $3500 to fix!

My dad paid for mine and I didn't know how much it was gonna cost ahead of time, honestly if I had known it would be $3500 I woulda just got another car. I can't even imagine spending $5200 to fix a Mustang when you can buy a 5.0 for that or a 2.3L for half that or less.

Man Brain, sorry to hear about your car. I think I find my self watching out for other drivers more and more these days. I have had many close calls and just keep having more and more. There are people on the road that shouldn’t be. I hope everyone is safe over the holidays and hope this doesn’t spoil your fun with your car.
Dan

Red_LX said:
$5200??? :eek: And I thought it was a waste when mine cost $3500 to fix!

My dad paid for mine and I didn't know how much it was gonna cost ahead of time, honestly if I had known it would be $3500 I woulda just got another car. I can't even imagine spending $5200 to fix a Mustang when you can buy a 5.0 for that or a 2.3L for half that or less.

My wreck was in 1999, the car was 6 yrs old. The wreck was not my fault and the other person's insurance paid for the repairs. The original estimate was 3200 from 2 body shops, but with additional labor charges it upped it to $5200. The cost of repair to value was still low enought they would not total it, i did ask about that. Looking back, now 6 yrs later, I am glad they fixed her up. She has been a very dependable and fun car. With only 80,600 miles on the odometer, I hope she will be around for a few more years.
:)