Annoying miss problem,, need some help

Cobra3150

Jan 2, 2006
I've replaced the plugs and the wires and I still get a miss after the car warms up. Not as soon as I start driving it but maybe about 5-10 minutes later. I just can't figure it out. Could it possibly be the coil? The one that's on there now is called "Screamin' Demon":rolleyes: and is from a company called Performance Distributors. I was on the car when I bought it and I really didn't pay it any mind but I looked into it and the company recommends opening up the plug gap to .060. I did that and still have the miss. Should I replace the coil? Another thing is when I pulled the old plugs out there was some oil on them. Not all but a few. I'm assuming that isn't good. If anybody has some input, I could really use it right now. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

So it's only missing once it's fully warmed up...? It's possible that the coil packs are bad. I've read that the aftermarket coils don't last as long as the Motorcraft ones. The extra heat from the engine could cause the resistance to go too high in the coils and cause some problems if theyr'e on the edge of going out. Another thing I'd check is the mass air flow sensor. Try cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner and see if that helps. They can cause a lean condition that could cause a lean misfire. How many miles are on your car and what year is it? Is the misfire constant or just under acceleration? I don't think a little oil on the plugs would cause a misfire, unless it's like saturated in it. Let us know what happens!

TheCrazy1 said:
So it's only missing once it's fully warmed up...? It's possible that the coil packs are bad. I've read that the aftermarket coils don't last as long as the Motorcraft ones. The extra heat from the engine could cause the resistance to go too high in the coils and cause some problems if theyr'e on the edge of going out. Another thing I'd check is the mass air flow sensor. Try cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner and see if that helps. They can cause a lean condition that could cause a lean misfire. How many miles are on your car and what year is it? Is the misfire constant or just under acceleration? I don't think a little oil on the plugs would cause a misfire, unless it's like saturated in it. Let us know what happens!

I thought the same thing with the coil so I put an MSD Blaster in it. The weather hasn't been really permitting so I haven't been outside working on the car like I'd like to. I haven't taken the car out since I put the new coil in it but the miss is still there at idle. The miss is constant I guess but really noticable under acceleration, naturally. I was told that it could possibly be a vacuum leak or intake leak. Is that possible? I do have a slight exhaust leak or possible intake leak up front somewhere. You can defenitely hear that under acceleration. Oh, the car has a bit over 48k on it and it's a `93.