Another MPG Thread

05V6inMD

Jun 24, 2005
Just got back from a 2400 mile, all interstate trip from Maryland to Minnesota and back. Crossed the mts, rolling hills, and flat lands. Set my cruise control at 74 in a 65 mph zone and 78 in a 70 mph zone.

Overall avg mpg for the trip (interstate driving only) was 25.5. I have heard others discount the validity of their trip computers, but the one in my car is always rigth on the money compared to my manual calculation afer fillup.

If I set the cruise at 60-65 I got 28.5 - @ 74-78, I got 25.5.

I have a CAI and XCal2 tune. Since it was such a long trip, I took my xcal with me and retuned to 87, 89, and 93 on three different tanks. No real difference in MPG, but a noticeable difference in performance with the 93 tune. Too expensive for premium to keep it at that.

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't really analyzed the whole thing to any great degree but I've been getting (according to the dash display) a little over 26 mpg average between highway and local driving. I cruise the highway doing 75-80 (just keeping up with the flow) and shift (I have a stick) at around 2200 whenever it's practical and just like the owner's manual suggests. I can only assume I must be getting at least 28 highway.

With 4000 miles on my car and having performed the manual-specified break in protocol, this is what I get.

18 mpg city
30 mpg highway @ 70mph
22 mpg overall (mostly local driving)

I can get around 32 mpg on a flat highway with careful throttle control. This is with an auto. A stick should do a little better than this.

NJstangpilot said:
I can get around 32 mpg on a flat highway with careful throttle control. This is with an auto. A stick should do a little better than this.
I tried my best on the flat as a pancake interstate through Illinois and Indiana and could not squeeze any more than 29 with prudent throttle nd speed and coasting where I could.

05V6inMD,

Assuming you broke the car in properly (no constant-speed, constant rpm driving for the 1st 1000 miles), maybe the Xcal is reducing your mpg a bit. Funny, I thought the mpg would increase with a performance tune. To be fair, cruise control gives me about 28 mpg @ 70 mph ... I have to "baby" the throttle (manually) to get 30+.

Any other mods on the car?

I can get 26 on the road, about 15 in town and I try hard sometimes. That is with air conditioner on full blast and an auto.
I can't see how in the world anyone can do better. Could there be that much difference in cars?

Temp outside plays a big part, humidity, density of the air, etc etc. Im suprised you only get 15 around town, thats horrible. My worste tank was just under 21mpg and that was goin to the track and only 500 miles on the car.