Any advantage in replacing rear speakers?

jocatch

Jul 22, 2009
I have the GT Prem Mustang with the Shaker500 system. It sounds really good. But while I was looking around in the trunk I noticed the speakers look kind of cheap. What I mean is the magnets look awfully small for the amount of power the sysytem puts out. Has anyone with the Shaker500 system replaced just the two rear deck speakers and did you notice any increase in bass response or music clarity? If so, what speakers did you use and are they the standard 6x9, 5x7 speakers or some other size?

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

I just doubled checked. The rear two deck speakers are cheap. They are rated at 4 ohms, 25 watts and have paper cones! That makes the 500 watt claim rather dubious. On every car I have ever owned, the rear deck speakers are the power speakers to produce the bass because they use the trunk itself as the speaker cabinet which really gives you good bass. You don't usually get the bass our of door speakers as there isn't enough volume of air in the door. Another thing I noticed is the speakers are held in by some orange plastic clips or something. I assume they slip off so an aftermarket speaker can go in. I still don't know the size but they look small, like 5x7s so I need to find some 5x7, 4 ohm, 50 or 75 watt speakers.

The Rear Deck Speakers and the Door Speakers are pure junk. Maybe $5 each if that. Wait until you see them when you REMOVE THEM.
I installed both the Rear Deck and the Front Door speakers (left the subs) I used Polk MM571's from Crutchfield. The sounds is far far superior to the cheap ones. It completely changes how it sounds. They come with a external crossover which really helps the highs. Do not leave the junk in. Crutchfield even has instructions on how to change them out. The back ones are a little tough. If you have never done this before have a Pro do it. The doors were much easier.

Polk Audio MM571 5"x7" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I have installed rear speakers lots of time, mostly in Camaros. What is the tough part? Other than a old person like me laying on his back in the trunk that is...

Seriously, the only tough thing I see is finding the conversion plug to match the Ford cable to the Polk's terminals.

Joe

P.S. Looking at the Polks, the specs are pretty good, the freq range and power handling are very good. I wish the impedance was a little bit higher than 2.7 ohms but it would probably work good with the Shaker system.

Hi. I checked further the rear deck speakers and I see they are mounted from the top. I thought they would be mounted from below. This changes everything. On my rear deck the deck itself is some fabric panel thing that covers the whole area under the rear window. I am not sure how to remove it. It seems to lift up a little but I didnt want to force it. Are there clips or something else that needs to be removed first? Also, in front of each speaker are two black plastic caps which when you open reveal a U shape handle. What are those?

The Polk speaker you listed was the same one I was looking at and it seems to be very good. If I can figure out how to remove the rear deck covering, I'll pick up a pair.

You said the door speakers are easier? I don't see any way of easily removing the door panel to get access. Could you please tell me how you installed and rear and door speakers? Thanks alot!

Joe

The Rear Deck Speakers and the Door Speakers are pure junk. Maybe $5 each if that. Wait until you see them when you REMOVE THEM.
I installed both the Rear Deck and the Front Door speakers (left the subs) I used Polk MM571's from Crutchfield. The sounds is far far superior to the cheap ones. It completely changes how it sounds. They come with a external crossover which really helps the highs. Do not leave the junk in. Crutchfield even has instructions on how to change them out. The back ones are a little tough. If you have never done this before have a Pro do it. The doors were much easier.

Polk Audio MM571 5"x7" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Well, I called Crutchfield again and got more info from them. The guy tried to talk me out of the Polks and to go with the Infinity 6822CF speakers which are 1/2 the price! He said they were more efficent than the Polks. Looking at their web site I don't see that under specs. I see the Polks more sensitive. I also read the 45 reviews for the Infinitys and alot of people said the bass ls lacking. So I still want to get the Polks.

The guy did give me some info on installing. It seems that the two side plastic panels (the rear seat arm rests) have to be removed to get to clips which hold the rear deck panel in place. I don't think I want to do that, not even sure if I need any special tools for that.

Joe

He is wrong the Polks are better. I hear them everyday in that car. As for the back and getting them out. Yes, you do have to remove both side panels. This is the hard part. They clip on all around the roof and the side window. Crutchfield has a file with pictures they can send you after you buy the speakers from them. They didnt have full 2010 yet (45 days ago) but the 2009 was close enough. And the instructions for the front door also. They list all the exact tools you need. Like I mentioned earlier if you have never done this I would use a pro. Well worth the cost so you dont wreck your new cars interior.
If you do just remember NEVER force anything. It is all plastic and gentle is the best way. Pry with tools and pulls. If it doesnt feel right its not. Look for more screws holding something etc.
Hope this helped. Good luck. I will say once done you wont be sorry at all.