Any car insurance gurus out there?

nosaj122081

Mar 5, 2003
West Virginia
Hi all-
I have a question pertaining to car insurance and soon-to-be-wives... I currently have 3 rides, a 94 Mazda 626, a 97 Explorer Sport 4x4, and the Mach 1. I only have fire+theft currently on the Mach 1 since its a big pile in the garage, but when I insure it, it added (this was 2 years ago) $80 a month (full coverage) to my current priemiums in the mid $160's a month(liability only on the Mazda and full coverage on the Explorer). I'm 22 and rent my house, own all 3 cars.

Now, this concerns not me so much, but my girlfriend... My driving record is currently spotless. I had a at-fault minor (REAL minor) accident and a speeding ticket when I was 17, but thats since gone from my record. My girlfriend, on the other hand, had a DUI with property damage (smart, huh?) two years ago. She currently doesn't have a license (never got it back, would cost too much), but if we were to get married, would it still send my premiums through the roof? I like fairly cheap insurance, and like that mine gets cheaper every time I get a bill, but have this nasty feeling that they're gonna ream me out when we get married, regardless if she has a license.

• Sponsors (?)

My guess would be that if she doesn't have a licence she isn't legal to drive the vechicles, thus she whouldn't be insured. You would be the only one on the policy and it shouldn't change. Then again insurance companies will try to screw ya. I would call and find out for sure.

She will only effec tyour premiums if she gets rated as a primary driver for a vehicle on your insurance. As long as she has no license, if you get married your premiums will drop. Get married on your 25th birthday. Your premiums will drop like rocks then. :)