any road racers

Eos

Oh Heather Oh yeah... I want your pink taco
Jun 13, 2003
oklahoma
anyone here road race with their II's I know theres alot of drag racers out there but I think road racing would be fun. We have a track in okla, hallet, that I've been out too during the mid america shelby meet, I wanted to run my car but that was back before I had it fixed so maybe next year.

• Sponsors (?)

How about like this guy? He took second in class at the SCCA Solo II Nationals a couple of years back.

Attachments

• cp85.jpg
    cp85.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 293
I have plans of Solo II and dreams of The Targa also. I just got my Mach on the road. I figure it needs to be lowered, it needs bigger brakes, Larger wheels and tires and a quicker ratio rack before I try my hand at any of those events. The Nevada open road races look kool also. We should organize a open road race in Ontario :canflag: I think I would stick to the 100MPH class the II feels like It wants to take flight at much over 100 :lol:

Ok about a year ago I had a family emergency and on a brand new stretch of highway I had mine Tached out (c-4 and 3.0 rear) and it actually was more stable than it is normally at ~80

I have a new poly frontend

When i still had II xtreme (the yellow lowered road coupe with Shelby front end) She felt stable at any speed. If i'm not mistaken the suspension was a duplicate of Dave Wilson's black and gold cobra. I can;t say for sure, but i think the fact it was lowered 2.5 inches along with a shelby front apron kept it on the gound. My 76 Cobra would get VERY light in the front as i neared 80 MPH.

I checked the forum and saw the thread on autocrossing.....

Brian, yep the yellow monster had aluminum sway bar mounts, heim joint end links. I don't know if Dan put on my A-arm connection points which were steel with nylon bushings. Then more so than now you had to make your own parts.
A little tight for the street but with slicks a real kick.

Also back then all tires had to be inside the stock bodywork, which I think looks much better than those flairs.

If you want to get into autocrossing you don't need a killer car to start. I upgraded mine every year as I learned how to drive it right. I put the money into it as my experience grew. Going fast means knowing when to go slow.

Speaking from experience on the airport runways, get a front spoiler. In most autocross events you don't need a front spoiler which is why mine was off. You only high high speeds for short times then are back on the brakes.

Speaking of brakes, I used my stock brakes successfully, yes the 13 inch things. To get started get them rebuilt stock with good non metalic pads. You want them hot fast. You also want a good feel from them. Too much will just cause you to lock up when you don't want to.

Get a harness for the car, yes for safety reasons, but more importantly to keep your butt planted in the seat. Sliding around makes it harder to steer! Move the seat up close, you want to be sure your gas foot is completely planted.

Ah I'm rambling again....but do plan on joining the local autocross club next summer. Car shows are only fun for so long.

Email me if anyone wants an old mans experience! [email protected]

well this week end i will begin the process of cutting the front fenders in order to fit the much larger and wider tires. if anyone is interested in the chrome side trimming from the ghia let me know. the flairs will be coming from mas or unlimited, both places have some nice IROC style fender flairs for the mustang.i will post some pics when done. wish me lucK :nice: