Anyone have ipods in there stangs

• Sponsors (?)

Ive got an 2006+ model Alpine headunit which uses a new ipod interface cable which came out about 2 months ago, there is no box to hide along the cable, its just straight from the Alpine head unit to your ipod. I put mine in my glove box and just zip tied the extra cable length and tucked it into my carpeting. I like it because its clean, no visible wires, no visible ipod, or a cd book! just the head unit. the cable is KCE-422i i think...... you can look into all options easily on crutchfield

its extremely quick and easy to navigate through the headunit too. and charges it.

I use the Monster gizmo. It works okay, but since its signal is sent via FM, there are some losses there. I did check for one of those PIE adapters, but because my Mach headend doesn't support an external CD changer, it won't work with the iPod.

My only other option is to go aftermarket.

H What 4.6 said:
Ive got an 2006+ model Alpine headunit which uses a new ipod interface cable which came out about 2 months ago, there is no box to hide along the cable, its just straight from the Alpine head unit to your ipod. I put mine in my glove box and just zip tied the extra cable length and tucked it into my carpeting. I like it because its clean, no visible wires, no visible ipod, or a cd book! just the head unit. the cable is KCE-422i i think...... you can look into all options easily on crutchfield

its extremely quick and easy to navigate through the headunit too. and charges it.
I was thinking of selling my 2 year old Alpine to get the newer version like yours. The only problem is i bought the last model with 3 sets of pre outs and No internal amp. The choices a man must make....

exindust said:
no i think stprorolla49 has the non mach sound system
nah, its the mach 460....i just have a tape adapter, and i make the holder outta sheet metal...

View attachment 464297

DSCN1035.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1008.jpg
    DSCN1008.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1035.jpg
    DSCN1035.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 58
Just the deep cupholder works fine for me. The Ipod is hooked up directly with rca cables + a belkin inline adapter. I have the charger hooked up and hidden so all there is a the Ipod and one wire from the bottom.

I like this setup as:
The Ipod is charging
Uses the Ipod's own line in (to get the best quality sound from the Ipod)
No need to mess with the Ipod's volume control as its a true line in
People can use the ipod itself to find songs and not need to know how to use the head unit.
It can be given to the rear passenger (while still playing i.e. no silence between transitions) if they feel like picking out something.

2005_0125Image0002.jpg

Attachments

• 2005_0125Image0002.jpg
    2005_0125Image0002.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 54
MineralMan said:
I've got a iPod video that I've installed in my car. I've also got the PIE adapter which allows me to control the iPod through the factory Mach 460 head unit using the external CD port on the back of the unit.

I did a write up on it over on the Bullitt forums (http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128945&highlight=ipod)

Here's a pic of where I've got the iPod mounted:

ipod.jpg

Thats a nice install man. I didn't do anything fancy like that for mine, I just have the wire running along the floor next to the passenger seat. It is pretty well hidden though under the center console trim. I just put the ipod in the rubber cupholder and plug the cord in. I might clean up the install sometime though, maybe something like what you did.

So what is the BEST way to use an Ipod with the factory Mach 460 with the 6 CD Changer? I am seriously contemplating purchasing an Ipod, but I really want to use it in my car and not use the crappy FM frequency. Please explain how to do the best setup. Is that Crutchfield adaptor all you need? I'm so lost.....

I have the Alpine 9855 with the Alpine Ipod Interface Adapter and a 60gb video black Ipod :)

I love the interface adapter.. changing the songs on the headunit is the way to go. in my 95 v6 i had a FM tuner that also charged it through the cig lighter.. it ended up blowing a fuse though lol

I've got a Premier DEH-P8MP head unit and a CD-IB100 iPod adapter with an iPod nano hooked up to it. The sound quality is perfect but the interface is horrible. As long as you stick to your playlists its ok, but if you want to browse for a particular song forget it. here's the only pic i've got, you can see the black nano in the dash tray:

2006-05-03-MustangGT0271-1.jpg

Attachments

• 2006-05-03-MustangGT0271-1.jpg
    2006-05-03-MustangGT0271-1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 61
DeathMetal said:
Thats a nice install man. I didn't do anything fancy like that for mine, I just have the wire running along the floor next to the passenger seat. It is pretty well hidden though under the center console trim. I just put the ipod in the rubber cupholder and plug the cord in. I might clean up the install sometime though, maybe something like what you did.

Thanks. I ran the wire completely under the center console. I was worried that I would have to enlarge one of the mounting holes for the center console to pass the cable through due to the iPod connector. But, Ford already build in enough of an opening in the mounting holes (to allow for console adjustment) that I was able to pass it through with no extra drilling.

Where do you have the PIE unit mounted? Mine is at the bottom of the center console, behind the traction control/foglight/defroster buttons.

MineralMan said:
I've got a iPod video that I've installed in my car. I've also got the PIE adapter which allows me to control the iPod through the factory Mach 460 head unit using the external CD port on the back of the unit.

I did a write up on it over on the Bullitt forums (http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128945&highlight=ipod)

whurrrr did you get that mount?

i just got the 2006 alpine cda9857 with the full speed cable... sound quality is great, just as good (actually better cause no skips) as cds... the interface on the deck is okay.... not the best, i have a few complaints but from what ive seen its the best bet currrently avalible for the money...

oh and ive got my ipod in the little net bungie thing that is on the roof... i figured it would have easy access there for when i need to take it out, plus its out of view from outside the car

MineralMan said:
Thanks. I ran the wire completely under the center console. I was worried that I would have to enlarge one of the mounting holes for the center console to pass the cable through due to the iPod connector. But, Ford already build in enough of an opening in the mounting holes (to allow for console adjustment) that I was able to pass it through with no extra drilling.

Where do you have the PIE unit mounted? Mine is at the bottom of the center console, behind the traction control/foglight/defroster buttons.

I put mine in the same spot, looked like the best place for it at the time.

i got an old 60 gig photo that i carry around with me while im a work and then i use the fm transmitor in my car but that thing sucks. I didnt know that someone made a direct conector for the stock head unit. How much did the pie adapter cost? was it hard to install.

I was thinking about getting a new head unit in july or aug. But then i was like well...new door speakers, amp, car alarm, tint etc etc...

And im worried about ppl cutting my top to get inside my car. I have had my old expo broken into. The whole thing sucks, got to file a cliam, get a new window etc....uhhh

So the pie adapter sounds like a good alternative to a new head unit. Steath mode!

Ive had two different FM Transmitters and they were both junk. I have the stock Mach460 with the Tape/CD deck -- and really didnt want to buy a new headunit basically because I like the stock look. Come to find out, those of us 94-00 with factory decks CANNOT use any kind of hardwire connections.

So I am stuck with the ghetto tapedeck adapter. It sounds great... just looks like CRAP with this big ass WHITE wire leading up to my dinosaur "tape-deck"

DTNODYA said:
I just use one of these and hook to the headphone jack on the ipod to audio inputs on the back of my head unit. Most aftermarket head units have audio inputs.

The BEST way though is to buy one of these along with the Y-splitter above and the sound is awesome. Instead of plugging the output of the Y-splitter to the headphone jack on the ipod, you connect it to the charger which gets the audio signal from the main connection on the bottom of the ipod. It also has a built in amplifier which makes the sound damn near perfect. Hope that makes sense ...

FWIW, I also have an FM Transmitter and it's no comparison, FM transmitter is a gimick IMO. It cuts out at times, you have to have the volume set just right ... pain in the a**

I have an '02 Mach 1000 hu, will this set up work with it?