Anyone heard of Falken tires?

I have a subscription to Consumer Reports and Falken was rated number one among the high performance all-season tires. I had never heard of them. Here's the rest of the rating:

1 Falken Ziex ZE 512 $60
2 Bridgestone Turanza LS-H $100
3 Bridgestone Potenza RE950 $85
4 Michelin Pilot XGT H4 $85
5 Dunlop SP Sport A2 $65
6 Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus $120
7 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons $75
8 Sumitomo Srixon 4 $65
9 Yokohama A550H $65
10 Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $70
11 Kelly Charger HR $75
12 Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE $70
13 Yokohama Avid H4 $70
14 Toyo Proxes TPT $90
15 Goodyear Eagle LS $70
16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring HR $70
17 General Exclaim $75
18 Firestone Affinity LH30 $65

• Sponsors (?)

Falken has a full page ad in the April 2004 issue of Pro 5.0 mag, page 53. ck out their website at www.falkentire.com. In the ad, they profile the Azenis tire and also show the ultra aggressive, very cool Sport RT-215.
We put Bridgestone RE-750's (very similiar to the RE-950's) on my wife's 01 with 17X9" Cobra rims. Nice good-looking tires, good wear so far, good wet weather traction & grip(which is a big factor for us as these are daily drivers here in sunny (yeah, right - it rains almost every day during the summer) FLA. I'd buy these again.

You know, I think tires are getting more and more alike. Do we really know how good our tires are and how they compare to others? Not really.

I would try these tires the next time around, or at least consider them. I always avoid the big names.

Regarding CR, hum, not sure about them. The reason I say this is that tires can be completely different depending on what size you use. One guy may like the ride of tire A in a 205/60/16. But in a 275/40/17 the ride and handling is completely different. But Tire B seems better as a 275 but not as a 205.

Back in '96, after losing the rear end of my turbo RX7 in a tight turn on stock rubber while road racing a buddy in a Porsche 928, the very next day I upgraded to 275 Falkens on 18's all the way around. First off, I was surprised with how noticably more sluggish it felt going from 17's to 18's (that is due to the heavier rim and tire, not at all specific to Falken). But I was very disappointed with the grip of the Falkens ... the grip seemed no better than stock, and maybe was a tad worse. That being said, I don't recall the exact Falken model I was running. I am sure that the happy replies above are all running something much better than I had, and are very credible opinions. All I am conveying is one very particular unhappy experience that will steer me personally away from Falken forever. When I changed out the stock Mustang rubber, I went with some Dunlops that were noticably stickier than stock.