ANYONE HEARD OF RAVIN EXHAUST?

02YellowPony

Apr 29, 2004
Arizona
A couple days ago I went down to Midas to talk about prices and options for a MAC exhaust install. I wanted the MAC True Duals and to have the shop fabricate in the midpipe and custom "H" crossover. However, they told me that I should go with the Ravin exhaust. Said it is a very good company that all the others try to replicate. :shrug: The shop manager said it would be just as loud and perform better than MAC. Well, long story short, I had them put on the Ravin true dual system (no more y pipes), and although it looks great with dual 3" stainless tips coming out the rear, it is quiet as hell. Only a few db over stock. Way too quiet for me. I want it loud (not too raspy though)...would love to get that Nascar sound from it. I know it wont sound like a GT or Cobra, but theres gotta be something. Any suggestions or help would be great. Please post your ideas or comments. Should I have them replace the Ravin mufflers with MAC Flowpaths? Also, I left the system 2.25" (because the tech said it would flow fine) and left the cats too. I dont want to mess with emission controls. Please help. :hail2: :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

I have 18 inch glass packs and they are noisy enough for me. it turns people's heads and is a deep low rumble, no raspy noise, and they're cheap. :D I have 2.25 inch exhaust also. I also have all four cats on because i didn't want to mess with any of the emissions. I know alot of people really like mac, but i just thought i'd give you some other options. Hope this helps buddy. :nice:

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF RAVIN EXHAUST

From your description you probably could've got GT duals for less and the same or maybe louder exhaust note. I always recommend exhaust shops that do exhaust only as they tend to have more experience in how stuff sounds and whatnot.

Hmmm...I wonder if I can get the shop to switch out the mufflers or something since they mislead me on this whole thing. I dunno. I paid $500 for everything, including labor...I want it to sound the way I want damnit! Well, I will see what I can do. Thanks for the replies and keep the ideas and advise coming. Anything will help.

If they won't take them back, you might want to cut a hole on the top of the muflers and rip out the baffles, then take them to a shop to weld the top piece you cut out back on. Just a thought as it would cost you less than $75 for labor and materials, and a couple hours of your time cutting and gutting the mufflers.

eh before i went messing with the actual mufflers, i'd take them back and threaten them with getting the better business burearu involved, if they wont swap out the mufflers and give you a full refund, minus the H pipe (because i'm presuming that it was correctly welded on. get yourself a jack/stands or just your jack from the trunk and look under at the weld points...behind the cats, and your h pipe to see if tehy are decently welded). also when your pipes get some bulidup in them, the sound will also be dampened some. part of the sound on a new system is from the reverb of a clean pipe. my MAC's would get in teh "drone zone" and killed my ears the first couple weeks I had 'em.

But yeah, get your money back. Keep us posted!

-Chris

Wouldnt that mess up the design?

MarvinMyCat said:
If they won't take them back, you might want to cut a hole on the top of the muflers and rip out the baffles, then take them to a shop to weld the top piece you cut out back on. Just a thought as it would cost you less than $75 for labor and materials, and a couple hours of your time cutting and gutting the mufflers.
If I gut the muffs, wouldnt that be kind of reduntant as to what they do? It would be just like straight piping the system, wouldnt it? I will keep that in mind, but after the $$$ I spent, Im gonna try and get the to do it right. :bang:

Do you like your MAC system?

ChrisYellowV6 said:
eh before i went messing with the actual mufflers, i'd take them back and threaten them with getting the better business burearu involved, if they wont swap out the mufflers and give you a full refund, minus the H pipe (because i'm presuming that it was correctly welded on. get yourself a jack/stands or just your jack from the trunk and look under at the weld points...behind the cats, and your h pipe to see if tehy are decently welded). also when your pipes get some bulidup in them, the sound will also be dampened some. part of the sound on a new system is from the reverb of a clean pipe. my MAC's would get in teh "drone zone" and killed my ears the first couple weeks I had 'em.

But yeah, get your money back. Keep us posted!

-Chris
The guy that actually fabricated and welded the system did a great job with all the welds, so I will keep his H-pipe set-up. Prolly try to get either the Super 40 series flows or even better the MAC Flowpaths to replace the Ravin muffs. Do you like your MAC system? Also is the 2.25" system enough as opposed to 2.5" systems? If I change only the muffs, will I get the sound I want or does the sound also differ with other components in the system? Due to AZ emissions laws and their stringent testing, I have to leave the cats in, but anything I cn do from that point back in order to get best sound and performance is my goal. :bang: :bang: What a pain in the ass. Thanks again for all the help guys. :hail2:

Just an FYI. Don' change the Title of the message every time you reply to a thread.

I had my MAC cat-back system on for 3 years, and they sounded pretty loud for not having any other real engine mods going on. However, on the stock gears, I would get this droning sound at 50mph. I ended up getting rid of the MAC system as I have no choice but to drive the car in the winter, and the tail pipes pretty much just rotted off the car. I've got the CDC kit on now and I think it sounds much better than the MAC one. Sounds more rumbly and gets some nice gurgles in there too.

Like I said, try to take them back, and if they won't, then you might as well mess with them. The only way to get the existing setup louder is to gut them or drill out a hole in the rear of them. I woldn't say that they would then sound like a straight-piped system, but they will be louder though.

Sorry about the re-titles of messages. Anyways, if I gut the muffs or get glasspacks, or even straight pipe it...will it have a good low sound, or will it sound like crap like a car with rusted out muffs? This damned exhaust stuff is so confusing. I know 94Stang likes his glasspacks...anyone else with experience or insight? Im going back there tomorrow to get things sorted out.

well usually the tips will come with your muffler package, however tips arent going to make a hill of beans difference in your sound. they are 100% looks. (personally, I think 3" is a little bit big, but its whatever you want...your car man). Some of the newer MAC's come with chrome tailpipes/tips, like 2.5 feet long, lol. If they dont, then you can get any kind of tips you want welded on the end.

Ravin mufflers are quite loud if you replace the factory cats with high flow cats. our stock cats 4 of them are really restrictive and cause the exhaust note to be quiet. my 99 GT vert is the same 6 cats on it. i put flowmaster 40 series mufflers on the GT with the stock converters still in place. it is not any louder than the stock mufflers but has a different tone. the ravin mufflers are fine you just need to get rid of the factory cats