Anyone in the Military?

SeventyMach1 said:
1.) You can serve part time in the Army National Guard & get that paid. Maybe not all of it, but most. Maybe they'll pay ALL. I know my friend owed $16.5K when he joined & they paid every penny. It's the "Student Loan Re-payment Program". I am no longer a "station recruiter", so I don't exactly know the figures anymore.... especially since it will vary between states (Guard is state & federal missioned).

2.) For us, to join, you must be 17-39 years old to join.

3.) With the degree, you can join & become an officer easily. You would come in automatically as an E-4 with your degree. Once you complete your IADT (initial active duty training), you can go to OCS (officer candidate school). There are a few different options on this; choose according to your schedule. You will get paid as an E-6 the whole time you're in school (which will not exceed 8 weeks). Once you complete that school, you'll recieve your comission as an officer & make the big $$. Easy as that.

We also have a C.A.S.P. (civilian acquired skills program). Whatever skills you can prove you have in the civilian world, will carry over to the service & can "exempt" you from schools or training that relate to whatever job you want to do.

Wow, thanks alot:nice: . I am well under the age max and working with my sched. would be awsome. In like 3mo I will know how much BS this job is going to be and if its worth it or not, looking for advancement but everyone starts off as a "temp" in there company owned temp service, no biggie I have my foot in the door now.

Looks like my only issue will be the fact that my wife and I bought a house in March and may have to sell depending on what goes down with that. But it is something worth thinking/looking into.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in...im presently at Kings Point (US Merchant Marine Academy) and am planning either taking a commission in the Navy or Marine Corps....not sure yet....I want to fly so it depends on their needs......who said dont become an officer...:Zip2: ROTC is a great way to go .....it might be too late for you to apply to a service academy but the military in general is great ......it is gonna teach you alot of disciple and life lessons and will make you a better person...no matter if you enlist or decide to be an officer :nice:

Dude, this is the best advice I can give you:

The military life is not easy by any means. Its hard mentaly and physically. You may have time to do college while you are in and you have the GI Bill for when you get out, if you desire to do so. But this is the BIG thing to remember, you are there to do are job. Not just any job, but one that will require you to lay your life on the line for the man or woman beside of you. Right now the chances of going to Iraq are really good. I just got back from my second tour in Iraq and let me tell you, if they ask me to go back I would, cause that is what I signed that contract for. I didn't sign up for the college money or to get away from home, I signed up to be a Marine. Yes, Marine! I have been in for 6 years now and I love it. But I would never tell anyone to join for anything other than service your country and having the back of your brothers and sisters in arms, because thats what it is all about. Regardless of what the recruiter says.

The only thing I would truely say that you need to do is look into yourself and see if you would be willing to fight and possibly die for the people that you see everyday where you live. If you would, then the military is most likely the thing for you. If not, you need to start looking in that scholarship book if you want to go to college.

Semper Fi,
Brian Hockenberry
Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Aaron, it sounds like your C.A.S.P is a little different, I guess. I don't see the U.S. Army forking out $20K to a skilled person that just finished basic. Incentives change constantly, though. It is extremely rare that a soldier will go "direct commission" here. It's usually an "under the table" deal that is still in written contract. But I never see that happen. The majority of our officers either went through a university ROTC & OBC ..... or basic training, OCS, & OBC. I can tell you .... the latter will get the respect. Officers that went through ROTC don't get respect at all .... at least in our organization. I am proud to be an NCO!

SeventyMach1 said:
I am proud to be an NCO!

That's why i said earlier, don't become an officer...a little pride in being an NCO never hurt nobody :nice:

We've got the same situation here though, a Captain that just came out of our Royal Military College here will get very little respect. The kid barely shaves, he went to school for a few years, how is he supposed to lead me into combat? When someone like that comes into my regiment on a power trip, it's usually not too long before they figure out that they're not what they thought they were... Now, a Chief Warrant Officer or Master Warrant Officer, if they take a commission, they know the ways of the military, they know how to take care of the troops cause they've been doing it for almost 20-25 years, and they're trusted by every one of us. So you can pretty much see where the respect is given. Not saying I haven't seen bad examples of both, but the majority fit my description of both types of officers...

i never understood how someone can join the military and be an officer already. where the hell is the experience? i think everyone should have to start from the bottom rung and work their way up--adds a lot more credibility.

Long

As Hock said you are there for one reason: to defend our country. However, you can get a great education and technical training while you're in. The best thing to do is to talk to all recruiters, Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines, active and reserve. Decide for yourself which one is best for you. I have been in the AF for 8 years now. I spent the first five years as military police and then retrained as a communications tech. I spoke with a number of people before I went in and they all said the Air Force treats their people much better. And from what I saw it’s true. After basic, technical school and airman leadership school you are five classes from an associate’s degree with the Community College of the Air Force. While you're on active duty you're tuition is free. The GI bill covers the majority and TA (Tuition Assistance covers the rest.
Taken from http://www.airforce.com/education/enlisted/index.php :

Real Education Assistance
The Air Force Tuition Assistance (TA) program is designed to help active-duty personnel pursue voluntary, off-duty educational opportunities. Currently, the program pays 100% (up to $250 per semester hour or equivalent) of the cost of college tuition with a limit of $4500 per fiscal year. Courses and degree programs may be academic or technical and can be taken from two- or four-year institutions on base, off base or by correspondence.

The Montgomery G.I. Bill (MGIB) is an assistance program created to attract quality men and women to the Armed Forces. The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of benefits to eligible persons for education and training opportunities. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following release from active duty.

The College Loan Repayment Program (CLRP) is for all non-prior service persons considering enlistment in the Air Force. If you have taken some college courses and have accumulated debt, this program may be for you. Participants must sign up for this program when signing the enlistment contract. Under CLRP, the repayment maximum is $10,000 per recruit.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you have any further questions shoot me a PM.

Daniel J. Hurt, SSgt, USAF :flag:

Ram000 said:
i never understood how someone can join the military and be an officer already. where the hell is the experience? i think everyone should have to start from the bottom rung and work their way up--adds a lot more credibility.

There was a time I would have agreed, but once you get into the timelines it makes more sense. How much time would one need to be enlisted?

Sure it adds credibility around junior Soliders, but how long does an officer remain at the troop leading level - 5 years? That's why a hard charging right arm NCO is needed to mold that Officer during those critical years. I served 7 years prior to my commissioning and I still learned loads from my platoon sergeant and 1SG. Also, the more years you add to enlisted time cuts into how far an Officer can go prior to hitting the magic 20 year mark. We can't have everybody retiring at 20 as Majors - there isn't enough incentive for some to stay beyond 20 for BN and BDE commands and senior staff positions.

That being said, I would do it all over again and I'll probably be one that stays beyond 20. Service members (Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen) will be the best group of people you get to hang out with in a profession. There's sacrifices to be made, probably more than most civilian professions, but you'll get to experience things and go places (both good and bad) you'll probably never see otherwise.

Look at it this way - go to any retirement home and spend time with the guys there. What will they remember and talk about the most? It will be the time in uniform when they served their country. :flag:

xr8d302 said:
Don't become an officer.

crapola I enlisted 10 years ago, and I was commisioned 4 years ago. You should say don't become an officer if you want to do the cool stuff like the job you joined for! The root of the word officer is "office" after all! :D That being said, I went to Iraq and had a great time on daily combat patrols even as an officer.
With regards to those complaining how one can be an officer with no prior military experience it's all about the level and quantity of training the candidates\cadets receive. Personally I believe all officers should be enlisted for a minimum of 18 months to give them perspective, but that's just my opinion.
Tim

18mustangs said:
crapola I enlisted 10 years ago, and I was commisioned 4 years ago. You should say don't become an officer if you want to do the cool stuff like the job you joined for! The root of the word officer is "office" after all! :D That being said, I went to Iraq and had a great time on daily combat patrols even as an officer.
With regards to those complaining how one can be an officer with no prior military experience it's all about the level and quantity of training the candidates\cadets receive. Personally I believe all officers should be enlisted for a minimum of 18 months to give them perspective, but that's just my opinion.
Tim

Tim, what rank are you anyway? I'm not familiar with military, so I can't read rank or anything, lol.

Whatever the military tells you, be it Navy, Army, or otherwise, if they promise you something like schools and choice of duty location, GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!
They can promise you the world BEFORE you sign up, but AFTER you sign up is a different story! You are THEIRS at that point, and they can assign you anywhere THEY choose!

Take my advice, Young Skywalker!

StangVert00
USN 1979-93

Yajtsa said:
There was a time I would have agreed, but once you get into the timelines it makes more sense. How much time would one need to be enlisted?

Sure it adds credibility around junior Soliders, but how long does an officer remain at the troop leading level - 5 years? That's why a hard charging right arm NCO is needed to mold that Officer during those critical years. I served 7 years prior to my commissioning and I still learned loads from my platoon sergeant and 1SG. Also, the more years you add to enlisted time cuts into how far an Officer can go prior to hitting the magic 20 year mark. We can't have everybody retiring at 20 as Majors - there isn't enough incentive for some to stay beyond 20 for BN and BDE commands and senior staff positions.

That being said, I would do it all over again and I'll probably be one that stays beyond 20. Service members (Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen) will be the best group of people you get to hang out with in a profession. There's sacrifices to be made, probably more than most civilian professions, but you'll get to experience things and go places (both good and bad) you'll probably never see otherwise.

Look at it this way - go to any retirement home and spend time with the guys there. What will they remember and talk about the most? It will be the time in uniform when they served their country. :flag:

lol, dude, no offense, no disrespect, but i have no idea what all that means :rlaugh:

Been in the AF for 6 years..been good to me.
I know right now they are paying 100% schooling for us, but I hear that its about to drop some. I also paid my 1200$ for the GI bill...damn I need to use it!

Ram000 said:
lol, dude, no offense, no disrespect, but i have no idea what all that means :rlaugh:

:D Not a problem. Basically I said that if all officers were enlisted previously then they'd all be old farts like me and would last till General. Better to bring them in young and stupid and hope the senior enlisted guys train 'em right. The military is tough on the body.

Yajtsa Better to bring them in young and stupid and hope the senior enlisted guys train 'em right. The military is tough on the body.[/QUOTE said:
:Word: Especially in combat MOSs that do a lot of jumping like airborne or even tankers (dismounting the tank is essentially jumping short distances)....those knees do hurt after a while!
Tim

i am a u.s. army recruiter stationed in muncie in. i have been in for six years and am planning on staying in until i retire. if you have any specific questions about military life ill be more than happy to talk to you one on one. just pm me and ill get back with you.

Right now Im currently enrolled in Army ROTC.. Im not contracted but have been thinking a lot about it lately..

I can definately understand how an enlisted soldier that worked his way up would get more respect.. I personally would find it hard to give orders to someone who knows more about the job than I would. I guess it would make it better for me because I would be more willing to listen to advice from an NCO instead of acting like a hard-assed 2LT..