Mach 1 Anyone removed the 'snorkel'?

djlethalwang

Nov 18, 2004
Amarillo, TX
Anyone removed the....... ?

Has anyone on here removed that useless air chamber attached to the inlet tube (whatever it's called) on their Mach? I'm just wondering (especially) if someone has done some kind of 'free' mod like cut it off and cap it somehow or something. I know you can spend like $150 on a C&L inlet pipe without it on there or $70 on an '01 Cobra inlet pipe that doesn't have it, but i'm looking for a cheaper way, if possible to remove that damn thing. Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, thats what I was really talkin about is that damn 'milkjug' thing as you call it. That huge gallon sized air box that serves no purpose other than stealing a couple of horses from the air intake. So you say get rubber stopper to plug it up after it's taken off? Alright, i'll definitely have to try that.....

For those who don't know what i mean, it's THIS damn thing in the picture:

http://www.freewebs.com/djlethalwang/images/steeda2.jpg

Do a search on MM&FF. They actually have an article on removing the "milk box" and give the correct dimensions of plug to buy and the silicon to seal it.

That 'mod', and the K&N are the only mods I have made to mine. I'm not quite sure how the shaker air can get to the filter when the snorkle is removed. It seems to me that the 'cool' air from the shaker will go right out into the engine bay if the snorkle is removed :shrug:

I can see how a snorkle trimmed to fit just inside the fenderwell may help some, but I haven't bothered with it.

My experience with these Mustangs is you won't get $hit from small mods.

Go gears if you want to stay N/A.

Go NOS or blower if you want to go really fast.

Personally, I'm happy with razing 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears in stock form :flag:

i didn't find that article from MM&FF, but it's no big deal cause i already got a plug and stuck it in there. Didn't use silicone but i guess that would be a pretty good idea to make sure it's sealed nicely.

Apparently there's something to removing the air silencer/snorkel cause my Steeda Cold Air kit doesn't have anything like it on there and neither does any other Cold Air i've come across.... but I do see what you mean. It seems like air would escape out of the air box or hot air from the engine would get in. And a lot of cold air kits come with metallic pipes. I would think metal gets a lot hotter than that factory plastic crap and actually make things worse, but who knows...... apparently they're dyno tested to work better :shrug:

I think the article was in the magazine featuring Mach1 vs. GTO.

On a stocker GT, I think every little mod you can put on will help; especially in combos (C&L intake + Steeda U/D pullies + FRPP 4.10). But, our Mach's come from the factory with all of the easy FRPP bolt-ons already on it, and tuned from the factory.

I agree with the steel pipes getting hot and only heating air going into the intake, it just doesn't make sense to me to heat the charge AT ALL in any form. The cooler the charge, the denser the Oxygen.

I stand by my claim that if you really want to make your Stang pull hard, go get some gears. Get some really steep gears (4.10, 4.56) and some sticky rubber on the rears and you'll see a HUGE difference compared to stock.

Or, you can do some cheap bolt-ons and try to convince yourself that you feel a difference. Been there, done that. When I slapped 4.10's into my 2000GT, it felt like a whole new breed of Stang. NO lie. I don't EVEN need to try that on the Mach :rlaugh:

Agreed.... on everything you just said....

I put 4.10s on my 2003 GT, before I had my Mach and that damn thing would straight get it after that. Unfortunately, that car is dead now thanks to a blind ambulance driver who decided to just run my ass over, and I wasn't able to pull the gears from the rearend. Eventually, down the road I'd like to get some deep dish rims in the same style that I already have, put some 315s on there and 4.10 gears in the rear with 31 spline axles. That should all add up pretty nicely and make a noticeable difference :nice:

Then way later on down the road heads and cams :flag:

Fubar02GT said:
i can imagine what heads would be like... :D

I can imagine a lot of head(s).

BTW, when are we doing the Hooters meet? There is a Mustang Roundup in Lubbock this weekend (Saturday AUG 20 at Carollon). We could hook up at Hooters, take in some meat and mammaries, and 'head' over to the meet :shrug:

We could crash that party and actually be invited if we show in Machs :nice:

I'm showing either way, check the sig, I will be there with my ride. My avatar resides on my rear decklid. If I go to Hooters first, just look for the guy with a big smile on his face.

Everything is bigger in Texas, including Hooters. Texas Tech has the best looking women in the nation. It's hard to live in this town, married, with all that primo hooche around :hail2:

I guess I better post this :D

Haha, nice post man.... very true though. Tech definitely has some hotties. I dunno about the meet this weekend, cause there's a big car show/stereo show right by my house that I'm gonna go to where there's alot of people from a local forum gonna be up there. And i'm sure just about every Mach in town :nice:

My Mach didn't have one of those Milk Jugs. The previous owner had put in a K&N Air Charger into it. I had wondered what they did though when I noticed my didn't have one. Anyone know?

Pic of under my car's hood:
360719_75_full.jpg

Looks like they put a whole new inlet pipe on your car so yeah, when you got it, you didn't have one. The Milk Jug thing is useless though and not only does it take up more space but it seems like it would rob a little bit of air from your engine.

If you're never seen the stock intake, here's a pic of it on my car before I took it off.....

steeda22hq.jpg

Attachments

• steeda22hq.jpg
    steeda22hq.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 127