Anyone try this setup?

Thanks. This was from a post on that forum:

This just in from someone that has done it down under. It's a Mitsubishi Starion box. He drills and crush tubes the frame rail and has the Mustang Pitman arm re-splined. Uses a manual center link or a P/S center link with the manual conversion kit. Just make sure pitman and idler are the same length. I assume you would locate it so that the pitman arm connection to the center link is at the same location as the original. 69 column with rag joint should work. You will need patience and a real good machinist. Nobody should recommend welding two pitman arms together.

I would be more comfortable with puting new holes in the frame to mount the new box to. Also, another post in that thread said it was from a Toyota Corolla. The regular Corolla uses a R&P unit while the Corolla DLX uses a box. I checked into an 82 Corolla.

A-1 Cardone PN 278571

Attachments

• steering box corolla.jpeg
    steering box corolla.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Sponsors (?)

I believe that this swap has been done before. There is a guy on mercurycougar.net that used this Toyota box IIRC. They used half of the Toyota and halfof the Ford pitman arm brazed together. He says it works really well FWIW

I believe that this swap has been done before. There is a guy on mercurycougar.net that used this Toyota box IIRC. They used half of the Toyota and halfof the Ford pitman arm brazed together. He says it works really well FWIW

I went over to the cougar forum and ran a couple of searches. I didn't find anything.

As for cuting and welding/brazing 2 pitman arms together, I'm not big on that idea. Resplining the Ford arm to work is one option. Another option would be to use the Toyota pitman arm (if the length is right) and use some sort of adaptor similar to what they use to make the 65-66 tie rods fit the Granada front spindle.

Anyone heard of an update on this? :shrug:

Both of the other forums mentioned don't have much news.

The Mustang Monthly article was a prototype and the abspowerbrakes.com web site doesn't show any info yet.

Anyone heard of an update on this? :shrug:

Both of the other forums mentioned don't have much news.

The Mustang Monthly article was a prototype and the abspowerbrakes.com web site doesn't show any info yet.

I thought about this thread when I was reading that as well. Glad someone took the time to dig it back up.

i don't think the ebay guy is the same place as the ABS brake guy. there are some other homemade setups in those threads as well.

edit: we've been talking about this on the corner carvers thread and it's kinda looking like the box from a 99-04 (i think) jeep grand cherokee might work well too. i plan on hitting the wrecking yards around here soon to have a look at the box but it'll have to wait until later on in the week, i'm about to leave out of town in an about an hour.

I didn't think it was an option, but now that I see there is that much interest, hopefully a box with the right dimensions, mount locations and a doable pitman arm is figured out.

I don't think it will happen soon enough though. I pulled the motor today and now would be the ideal time to work on the steering! :rolleyes:

It's going to turn out to be one of those "You might as well" projects.