AOD to T5 swap

mcjc00

Feb 20, 2002
CT
I recently picked up a CLEAN 93 hatch, that is pretty much mint except for the fact its an AOD car. Im ready to do the sawp, but now im being told that its a bad idea because of computer issues due to the auto.I know people whove dont the swap who never ran into problems, and wanted to know if anyone had info. I thought it might be a problem on the newer cars, but def not a 93.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 93 that used to be an auto(previous owner did swap) and as far as I know it has the auto computer...(haven't officially checked to which one it is) but runs just fine....and acts like what a 5spd should...

David

Never heard of that either.. do a search here there is a super link to a tech article (damn it isn't in my bookmarks anymore - Or I'd post it).

Imagine my problem: I'm doing a 4 banger auto to 351V8 5speed swap lol. My mechanical experience is from working on lawnmower engines and doing simple tune up jobs at a used car lot LMAO...

As long as you keep the auto computer there are no problems, switching over to the 5-speed computer can lead to isses with trouble codes from what I hear. The auto computer is better froma perfoamnce standpoint anyway...back in the day it wasn't uncommon to swap an auto computer into a 5-speed car.

Boss351 said:
That works for the mass airflow cars only. Ford gave a power boost via tuning on automatic Mustangs, which is why people were swaping computers in the 5-speeds. :D

So what are you saying? The AOD into T5 car only works if you have mass air? Or, that the performance increase only works that way?

I never heard that about the AOD comp. ever being desirable before. Pretty interesting. Well, I figured it shouldnt be a problem but just needed a few opinions...Id hate not to build this car, clean ones are gettin harder to come by. Does anyone know specifically what the computer differences might be? Oh, by the way, 89mustanggx, ive seen the car at mustangs unlimited before, nice ride.

89MustangGX said:
AODs still have a rev limiter...AFAIK the difference is all in the timing, thought I heard once the fuel tables actually differ some too. :shrug:

There may be something to that, i'm running 16degrees of timing on 87 octane with no pinging :shrug:

This is auto computer with 5 speed tranny conversion