Are factory 3.73's common........

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
............in a 4-cylinder automatic? Being the giant melvin I am, I decoded the door tag (with my handy dandy "Catalog of Mustang ID Numbers 1964-1/2 - 1993") on this '93 hatch I just picked up. I found that the axle code is "6" meaning a non-locking 3.73. Just curious if this gear is common from the factory.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, that makes sense. I know the automatic cars need quite a bit of help getting up from a dig. I had assumed that 3.45's were the gear of choice from Ford though, don't know why I assumed, but I did. Thanks for the info! Any day that I learn something new about a Mustang I didn't know previously is a good day.:nice:

The 7.5 came standard with a trak-lok in early GT's (up to '85 I think? Maybe '86 also), and in early turbo coupes, '83-86. Oh yeah, and in early Rangers, although the axle housing itself was set up for leaf springs (and I've also been told that's a cheap way to get 4.10's).

I don't even think the trak-lok was available in the 2.3L Mustang, but I could be wrong.