are my cats fried? 03 cobra

LUCAFU1

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2001
Tucson
i was searching around and i read that if your cats are red/oragne/purple then that is bad. well mine are red/orange. i just put a stinger c/b on and i noticed a funky smell. im not sure if it smells like a skunk or not (i never seen a skunk).
i think its just the new mufflers but then again im not sure. i thought my cobra wasnt as quick until i did the exhuast and cai. i also put a t.b on it. its a total different car. but i still wonder about the cats. thanx for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

LUCAFU1 said:
i was searching around and i read that if your cats are red/oragne/purple then that is bad. well mine are red/orange. i just put a stinger c/b on and i noticed a funky smell. im not sure if it smells like a skunk or not (i never seen a skunk).
i think its just the new mufflers but then again im not sure. i thought my cobra wasnt as quick until i did the exhuast and cai. i also put a t.b on it. its a total different car. but i still wonder about the cats. thanx for the help.
Not to worry. What you are smelling is the lubricant burning off the stingers and you're cats will be discolored naturally due to the heat they retained while the stock mufflers were plugging the system.

The smell goes away in about 2-3 days of driving.

yes...what he said :)
if your cats were bad, like more than 150k miles or more... your check engine light should come on... but what you are smelling is the new mufflers... about 100 miles and it will be gone..

i herd that too

i read that if they change colors dramaticly tthats a sigh there going bad. but i wasnt sure. did your friends check eng linght go off? my car has power but i know its not as strong as the other cobra around here

thanx

FordFreak said:
Apparently you guys dont know about the cat problems on the 03 cobras. Some are melting at a few thousand miles. I know my buddies did and it killed the cars power drastically!!!

He's right !! Mine melted within 2000 miles. It made a mess - blew off the backpressure hose twice, awful smell.... Ford should have recalled all 03's for the cats. Get them replaced now.

has anyone had any problems on the '04 like the '03s?
im just curious, maybe ill get a '04 h-pipe. but then again im not sure how to tell if there clogging or not. i can still smell them, but only after i run it hard