best performing wheel/tire setup

20001 mustang

Dec 6, 2009
alright so I know ive asked about this before and i know there are some threads on it but i just can nail it down yet.
I want the get a new set of whees and tires for my 2001 gt, right after i will be getting the maximum grip box from Maximum Motorsports. so basically i just want to know what the best size wheel and tire size is for the front and back that i will be able to fit without issues
Ive been looking at doing 17x10.5 rear with 315's and 17x9 in the front with 275's. ive heard that i might tramline with that wide a tire in the front, should i stick to 8? is there any advantage to getting them in 18"
also what brand tire do you guys run
thanks for any help sorry for the load of questions, i just dont wanna buy all this and realize i should have gotten a different size

• Sponsors (?)

Most of the more common aftermarket wheels are very heavy and do not perform well. If you want performance you need to spend the money on a good set of performace wheels. If you like drag racing get a nice set of welds or like wheels, if you like road racing, autocross and such get wheels that suit you that way. IMHO fr500s, bullets, and saleen are played out. Everyone has them and are heavy. I like being different. I have 3 sets of wheels. My drag wheels (race stars), my everyday wheels (stock wheels), and wheels that if I every get my ass to a autox event or something similar (5zigen wheels). A lot of people think the 5zigen wheels are rice but they are light as hell and its different from anyone else.

Stocker Premium Alloys, like in my sig pic, weigh either 17 or 21lbs. If you want something that looks a little bit less OEM, go with Steeda Ultralites or Maximum Motorsports wheels (made by Konig, same style as the Steeda's). They weight about the same as the stockers.

ok i think i was misunderstood, i meant best performing dimension of wheel and what your preffered brand of tire is, i know there are tons of good selections for tires im sure i can figure that out. i would like a light wheel come to think of it, but thats not what i was focused on, i need the best size wheel so i dont have clearance issues and i get the maximum grip out of them. ive heard something about 18' handling a bit better than 17's but the ride quality isnt as good and i dont know if i would clear once i lower it. so im looking for facts like that:shrug: i just hate buying something and realizing i should have looked into it more and gotten something else.
BTW i will most likely get black bullits(like everyone else) unless someone has a better suggestion but i cant find anything i like more

17s or 18s really don't matter too much. Either or won't rub. Personally, when I get the money I'm going to buy Mach 1 replicas with deep dish in the back.

For all intents and purposes, 9" in the front and 10.5" in the back. It also doesn't hurt to give Maximum Motorsports a call and ask, seeing as how you're going with their whole kit.

I like the hoosier tires on the back of my 5zigen wheels. They hook pretty well considering there is not side wall to the tire. I'm looking into some bfg's to replace the hoosiers now to try them out. The tire I like the best is a 26x10x15 mickey tompson et drag. Now that is hands down the best drag race tire. Mickey tompson FTW..