Beyond Routine Maintenance

UTCobra

Nov 11, 2003
H-Town
How many miles you got on your V6s before you had to do anything beyond Routine Maintenance (ie belt, fluids, tires)

What mileage before anything big and expensive? How many miles would be max amt for any of you to buy a V6 stang?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

honestly, the amount of miles to me goes hand in hand with A) the amount of money you have, B) if there is a specific year you are looking for, and C) how determined you are to have a mustang.

You are listing belts and such as routine maintiance, what else are you referring to that is non-routine? The only thing i've done is around 30k miles I recently put a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, gives me much higher mileage now.

well if you flush the coolant every year the coolant system should work fine for a very long time. the motor seems to run good till around 130k~ then they start to run into problems~ could be anything after 100k. I would also make sure teh coilpack/plugs/plugwires haev been changed every 50k~ and plugs every 25-30k or at least have their gap checked every now and then~

the 99 - 00 have pcv oil issues that put to much oil in the upper and foul out plugs so keep an eye on this seems to be the back two cylinders that suffer the mods.. easy fix get a catch cat to drop the oil out of the air as it goes to the upper's inlet or get an inline filter as I have to keep it down. in 01 they really fixed this but its still a small issue... not huge.

the auto tranny might start to get the shakes at idle around 40k a fluid flush every 15k miles should prevent this but once it starts its probably to late, flushing will only solve it a little bit it will come back (poor auto tranny upkeep)

the rear gears may whine but its just a factory thing~ not big deal just soem do some done, fixed in 01~

if you take care of it regularly you should not have any issues until 100+k so expect around then to start replasing this and that.

new motors are VERY cheap so even then it wont cost much to replace the whole motor lol 800 bucks drop in a 50k miles motor.

SpectorV said:
well if you flush the coolant every year the coolant system should work fine for a very long time. the motor seems to run good till around 130k~ then they start to run into problems~ could be anything after 100k. I would also make sure teh coilpack/plugs/plugwires haev been changed every 50k~ and plugs every 25-30k or at least have their gap checked every now and then~

the 99 - 00 have pcv oil issues that put to much oil in the upper and foul out plugs so keep an eye on this seems to be the back two cylinders that suffer the mods.. easy fix get a catch cat to drop the oil out of the air as it goes to the upper's inlet or get an inline filter as I have to keep it down. in 01 they really fixed this but its still a small issue... not huge.

the auto tranny might start to get the shakes at idle around 40k a fluid flush every 15k miles should prevent this but once it starts its probably to late, flushing will only solve it a little bit it will come back (poor auto tranny upkeep)

the rear gears may whine but its just a factory thing~ not big deal just soem do some done, fixed in 01~

if you take care of it regularly you should not have any issues until 100+k so expect around then to start replasing this and that.

new motors are VERY cheap so even then it wont cost much to replace the whole motor lol 800 bucks drop in a 50k miles motor.

:nice:

Thanks SpectorV (and V6asian I guess :)), thats what I was looking for. Is this usually the general case w/ all Fords?

ChrisYellowV6, Forgot about injectors and such, but yeah I consider that pretty routine, I was thinking anything that basically costs big money.

I just bought my stang, its a 94 with 156000 miles on it and the only problem ive had so far is I had to rebuild the engine and replace the alternator but it only costed 200 bucks and it runs great again!

Mine just rolled 100K recently and I havent had any major problems yet. I have replaced the purge flow and cam posistion sensors but other than that along with routine maintenace shes still running strong. Still get great gas mileage too. :nice: