body in white advice

doc stang

Mar 9, 2007
if one were to build up a body in white for American Iron, (or Camaro-Mustang-Challenge, (if rules loosened)). . .
does anyone know of a step-by-step guide as to how,
i.e. in which order to do what,
while using a wrecked donor for some parts
and aftermarket for others.
doc

• Sponsors (?)

I always wanted to pick up a body in white. I think it would be a great way to learn about how a car goes together.

As far as order, I don't think there's really any particular order for assembling.

I dunno about a guide, but basically something like this.

Suspension(including wheels tires and steering to get it rolling), then roll cage installed (probably including seat install and any metal work on the car you don't want to do yourself), I'd do paint next, then drive train install (including all wiring, gauges and switches), last the odds and ends (fire suppression unit install, padding over the roll cage bars, ext.). This is typically the order I have seen, the engine almost always goes in last.
Dan

Unless it's a complete drop-in, the only change I would make would be to fit the engine and headers before painting. Then pull them and paint. Otherwise, that sounds about right.

You want to start with the rolling stock so in other words you need suspension, brakes, wheel/tires that way you can bolt the other stuff in hardest being the drivetrain I would think needing a cherry picker for that type of lifting.