Brake Pedal Height In Relation to Gas Pedal

had65want05

Feb 27, 2004
Not sure if this matters to most people, but I have noticed that in many newer cars the brake pedal is now closer to the driver compared to the gas pedal. It has gone from what use to be say an inch, to what now appears to be two or three inches higher than the gas pedal now. I was told that due to some law suits by people claiming to have hit the gas when wanting to use the brake, it now must be much higher. For me, this is not better. It appears to me to be all too easy to catch the edge of the brake when swinging the foot to the left to hit the brake. Does anyone on this board know if the '94 and '95 Mustang has less of a difference between the gas and brake than the current 2000's cars? Will be looking into this when the new 2005 comes out. I do like the looks of the previous model to '99 style and the old 5.0 engine I understand to be easier to work on. Guess I will also look at the new V6 when it comes out. Gas is pretty expensive. Sure like the sound and performance of a V8 though --- oh well.

-Loren

• Sponsors (?)

Go to OSH or any hardware store and buy a Hollow 1" Nylon Spacer (macaroni looking thing), slice it open longways, crawl in under your dash, lift the pedal up and slide the spacer onto the excess cable. Then you can use electrical tape and wrap the spacer up a few times to prevent it from coming off. Easy mod.. puts the gas pedal almost even with the brake pedal.

***Edit: Oh hey, whataya know, there's a write up on this.....
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

thanks for your input on this

Rel said:
Go to OSH or any hardware store and buy a Hollow 1" Nylon Spacer (macaroni looking thing), slice it open longways, crawl in under your dash, lift the pedal up and slide the spacer onto the excess cable. Then you can use electrical tape and wrap the spacer up a few times to prevent it from coming off. Easy mod.. puts the gas pedal almost even with the brake pedal.

***Edit: Oh hey, whataya know, there's a write up on this.....
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

Good idea! Thanks for your input!

-Loren