Brake proportioning valve???

sweet93hatch

Apr 21, 2004
Guys, I have a leak from the brake proportioning valve? Anyhow, I got one from a buddy off his old car. Any info on changing this muther. Anything I should know. Thanks. Oh, my white face gauges, pro 5.0 power tower shifter, and edelbrock valve covers are on the way! Is it Christmas?

:)

• Sponsors (?)

if its leaking from the small block below the master cylinder, that is called the brake control valve or combination valve. It houses the proportioning valve and the shuttle valve. The proportioning valve is in the front part of the combination valve. Mine was leaking out the the little rubber plug on the front of the combination valve. I unscrewed the cap at the end and replaced the o-rings and that solved my problem. Its much cheaper than buying a replacement, and much easier to fix your problem. Took me 5 minuted and bleed the rear brakes. Where exactly is yours leaking? Where one of the brake lines comes in or from the front or back caps to the combination valve? Ask Matt90gt (i think). hes the expert. hope this helps

I didnt remove any fluid before. I just unscrewed cap with a wrench (make sure not to strip it with the wrench). As you come to the end of the threads be careful because there is a spring inside and it will pop out at you. There is also a small metal ring on the spring. Don;t lost that. Once you get the cap off just plug up the whole with a rag so u dont lose alot of fluid. You will see two o-rings on the cap. A larger one and a smaller. Go to your hardeare store and match those up. Make sure to coat them with break fluid before puting them back on the cap. It takes alot of force to compress the spring back in (make sure to put back small metal ring on spring) Tighten up the cap, and bleed the breaks if needed. hope this helps, it worked for me.