Brake system original or upgrade for a '68 347...

• Sponsors (?)

Need a lot more info. Original drum fronts, or discs? What wheels are you running? Power or manual? What are you using the car for? What are your goals? What's your budget? Are they working properly now?

Reactions: 1 user
Need a lot more info. Original drum fronts, or discs? What wheels are you running? Power or manual? What are you using the car for? What are your goals? What's your budget? Are they working properly now?
You are right, I didn't give the complete info!
302 stroker to 347, (cylinder heads, carburator and camshafts to define). Tremec '95+8.8' 3.73 Mountanieer, front disc, rear drum+ discs. Cragar style 15" rims.
I am going to use my car only like a street warrior, just for fun, no track, no turbo, no supercharguer, no problems... ;)
Is a '68 actually in the body workshop for the restaoration process, in the firewall I need to know wich are the original size holes for the booster and brake pump. Because I think that my Mustang had another brake system, like you can see in this picture.
IMG-20211118-WA0020.jpg

I see these rotisseries and I'm so damn jealous. Makes me want to build another one.

The 15" rims will definitely be a significant factor. The good news is that for your intended purpose, factory discs, or a low end aftermarket kit should be plenty. I would encourage braided flex lines and good quality rotors and pads, but there's no real reason to go for a high end aftermarket kit. Your street warrior won't see the heat cycles to justify the performance of bigger brakes, and Cragars don't show enough to justify the bling of aftermarket calipers (and wouldn't fit a BBK anyway). A stock MC should be fine. No idea what those measurements are to fix your firewall.

I see these rotisseries and I'm so damn jealous. Makes me want to build another one.

The 15" rims will definitely be a significant factor. The good news is that for your intended purpose, factory discs, or a low end aftermarket kit should be plenty. I would encourage braided flex lines and good quality rotors and pads, but there's no real reason to go for a high end aftermarket kit. Your street warrior won't see the heat cycles to justify the performance of bigger brakes, and Cragars don't show enough to justify the bling of aftermarket calipers (and wouldn't fit a BBK anyway). A stock MC should be fine. No idea what those measurements are to fix your firewall.
Thank you so much Husky44!
I am going to find the original brake system, maybe Summitracing?
What means BBK and MC?
TIA

MC = Master brake Cylinder
BBK = ? It’s the name of a performance part company, one of the first big names to develop Fox Mustang parts. Maybe it’s big brake kit in this context?
The more I think about your question, the more I would want upgraded brakes on a 60’s Mustang. I have a Rocket Olds that the power drums still suck in top shape. The same drums with a manual MC are fine in a compact car, but with the power train upgrades and idiots on cell phones, handling and braking also need upgraded.

MC = Master brake Cylinder
BBK = ? It’s the name of a performance part company, one of the first big names to develop Fox Mustang parts. Maybe it’s big brake kit in this context?
The more I think about your question, the more I would want upgraded brakes on a 60’s Mustang. I have a Rocket Olds that the power drums still suck in top shape. The same drums with a manual MC are fine in a compact car, but with the power train upgrades and idiots on cell phones, handling and braking also need upgraded.
Ok 7991LXnSHO thank you for your comments. I am going to check this BBK.

Something weird happened on this thread. I posted another reply and it was there for a while, then disappeared.

I used the acronym BBK to mean "big brake kit" forgetting that I was on a site that has a lot of traffic for fox bodies, where it is also a brand. It's shorthand in other car forums to reference kits like Wildwood, Baer, Brembo, etc.

In reference to @7991LXnSHO comments about upgraded brakes--I understood that your car already has front discs (vs drums) and a dual bowl MC. Sounds like your 8.8 will give you rear discs as well. If that's the case, for a street warrior, I don't think you need major upgrades, and you have to watch your wheel clearance for any changes you make in calipers or disc diameter. There's a lot of good, Ines pensive options that are more, than sufficient for your intended use.

Reactions: 1 users
Something weird happened on this thread. I posted another reply and it was there for a while, then disappeared.

I used the acronym BBK to mean "big brake kit" forgetting that I was on a site that has a lot of traffic for fox bodies, where it is also a brand. It's shorthand in other car forums to reference kits like Wildwood, Baer, Brembo, etc.

In reference to @7991LXnSHO comments about upgraded brakes--I understood that your car already has front discs (vs drums) and a dual bowl MC. Sounds like your 8.8 will give you rear discs as well. If that's the case, for a street warrior, I don't think you need major upgrades, and you have to watch your wheel clearance for any changes you make in calipers or disc diameter. There's a lot of good, Ines pensive options that are more, than sufficient for your intended use.
Yes, brakes big enough for an Exploder will have enough friction surface to slow down a street car quickly.

Husky44. thank you for your answer! Yes my 8.8 has rear disc brakes.
Then I am thinking about to find a original brake boost ant cylinder master to install it, and the disc brakes will be for 15".