Brakes: Lessons Learned

S.D.-Stangman

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
San Diego, Ca
Just wanted to give a heads up to you all when doing brake work.

Got some Russel stainless brake lines and speed bleeders, as well as Mosul DOT4 racing brake fluid the other day and had a major problem with the install.

After installing the lines & bleeders, we went to flush out the lines with the new fluid, and the pedal was spongy as expected. However, after bleeding two bottles of fluid through the lines and getting all of the air out, there was still no pedal: i.e. still felt like there was air in the lines. :mad:

We must have bled the lines 5 times without seeing any air before we noticed the bleeder screws on the master cylinder. Abviously, that did the trick.

Long story short: We didnt know that there were bleeders on the M/C, and after 15 years of doing brakes and never having this problem, it would have been nice to know. Learn from my mistake and save yourself the 6 hours of aggravation & hair pulling. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Blue 98 GT said:
i did that too with my Baer brakes system. except that i drove it first then realized there was no pedal pressure... oops
:rlaugh: I'm laughing so hard right now cuz I did that before. Right after a buddy & myself dropped my car 2 inches (we had to remove the front brake lines to get to the springs easier) I got out & drove & OH! NO BRAKES. It took us 2 bottles of brake fluid to remember the master cylinder. Then we had to go to the store again in his car to buy more as we ony bought 2 bottles.