Bumps and Clunks in the Tranny

Crackerballer

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
Durham, NC
Ok so I went and picked up the 99 cobra today, love it. I have some questions before I go and pay for it.

1: Is there any other way than a dealership to check and see if the recall is done. The dealer ran the VIN and said that it must have been done, because it was showing no recalls.

2: this is the big one. My transmission is really noisy. When i clutch, and shift into first from a dead stop, it clunks. Then, if I am doing like 50 in 4th gear, and hit the throttle, like blip it hard, it goes clunk. The noises are not nasty sounding but are loud. Should I be worried, or is this a natural sound. I am not sure if a high performance clutch has been installed or what.

Thanks guys, oh and the car is white hardtop with tan leather, I will try and get some pics up soon :) :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

It wasn't officially a recall if I remember right....call 1-800-FORD-SVT and give them your VIN...they will know for sure.

Regarding the clunck...pretty normal in my experience and others. It's not really the trans doing it...something to do with movement in the IRS. Once I went to a solid axle in the back, no more cluncking noise.

I think it has been mentioned is several threads before. Ford build a lot of Cobra's with the wrong size bolt in the forward IRS mounting locations. They should have a 14mm bolt but have 12mm's.

My '01 would clunk when, at a stop, you put it in gear. Any gear. Sometimes if I didn't shift just right, I'd get the same noise. I thought is was just an IRS thing.

A couple of weeks ago, I replaced the bolts and the clunking went away.

One thing youll notice is that the stock t45 is absolute crap! Its loud and I think its worse than the t5. None the less I will someday replace mine witha t56 or some tko. So dont worry about the clunks, its normal unfortunately. And I have not decided if I would rather have a solid rear end or independent haha