C4 HELP NEEDED!

garrett66

Jul 2, 2009
SE, Colorado
Sorry for the long and confusing post, I'm trying to make the most sense out of this that I can. I have been having problems with my c4 transmission for while now. I put a hot new 347 in my '66 and put a B&M shift kit in to freshen up the tranny. Obviously something wasn't right because it blew a cooler line and after I disassembled it found it had spun the front pump bushing loose and crushed the #3 thrust washer. To fix this I bought a nice PA rebuild kit and had a professional help me rebuild it right. Unfortunately this fixed nothing. The tranny was building up really nasty pressure and leaking out of the pan like crazy and it wouldn't shift into 3rd. I then pull the valve body to check if everything was in there right. It wasn't. The booster valve ( I think is what it was) was in backwards and broke the pressure regulator plate in half (why i had the nasty pressure) and I was missing 2 checkballs. I put the valve body back together how the shift kit told me to and now i have good pressure but it won't shift into ANY forward gears now.
To all the transmission experts out there, what do you all think it is? I have a Haynes transmission book and have gone through all the troubleshooting but got nothing.
I've fought this long enough that buying a brand new valve body is high on my options list. Does anybody have any experience with a full manual valve body?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, when I get a chance I'll get a pressure gauge on it and test it. To me the weirdest part is that 1st and 2nd worked before I fixed the valve body. It's not leaking onto the ground but maybe the valve body isn't sealed on properly? I really hope it's not the forward drum.