Cam Selection Help

My ported e7 heads with 2.02 valves, ported cobra upper, 24lb injectors, unequal length shorty headers, 70mm tb, and an e303 cam ran pretty good. I've got a xe282hr comp cam now in my 331. Cookie cutter here....and I'm not complaining. Custom cams are nice OTS cams work for the right combo. By the way my e303 idled well and whipped a lot of folks.

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen hundreds if not more 302 based builds. With a limited head design/small tb,limited intake track, there is very little difference in power availability or driveability between a descent ots cam and a "custom". I'm not trying to argue. I'm just pointing out what I've seen/read/experienced first hand. And my custom cam cost 403$ it wasn't designed by Ed. I used a different person/company and still haven't gotten the darn thing running lol. There are all kinds of pefectly usuable cams on the used marketplace. They are tried and true and work well. And yes a custom could possibly be better. It just won't be very noticeable. The op just has small parts. No insults intended lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it'll work. But to optimize the combo you should get a dyno tune. Popular choices are a chip,tweecer/quarterhorse,Anderson ford PMS,megasquirt etc. this will increase the performance and driveability.

I am running the stock computer with .613 and .588 lift, ;)

I had the tfs 1 and n41 with my old gt40 combo, they both worked well. The previous owner installed the tfs1 with 1.7rr with stock pistons. It worked, but I have no idea what the clearances were.

Joe
Rangerjoe what size was your injectors with this setup? Did you like the tfs1 or n41 better?

I ran 24's for a while, but later swapped to 30's, the 24's were enough though. Personally I like the n41 better because it was designed for the gt40's and it is billet cored. Performance wise, I think it would need to go on a dyno to see any differences.

Joe