can you use mustang headers on a 71 pinto?

NXBOY

May 6, 2006
Plan on using all the mustang 2 parts for a v8 swap but wasnt sure about headers. Some pinto are the same but i am afraid the older ones were a little differant. Its a friends car and dont know any pinto sites. Any help we appreciate. later,ED

• Sponsors (?)

The last swap I had seen, had the headers on pointing to the front! From there they collected and made a nice U and went back under the crossmember. This was a 71-72 pinto. I doubt the headers would fit.Pintos are so much smaller than II's. LMK how you make out? What about a stock set of headers? I have a set off of an explorer. Some restriction , but better than nothing? They can be had for a song @ car shows.

I don't think any Mustang II parts will work for a V8 swap in a 71 Pinto.The chassis are way different. The Pinto changed over to the Mustang II platform in 74 when the MII came out, but the earlier cars are not the same.

itsaMustangtoo said:
What about a stock set of headers? I have a set off of an explorer. Some restriction , but better than nothing? They can be had for a song @ car shows.

Explorer shorty headers or some sort of cast manifold? I wouldn't think that they would work any better in a V8 MII than a set of factory Fox shorties, let alone in an early Pinto. Unless they are a log style manifold of some sort...

What about the Pinto 351 swap headers that go through the wheelwells? Not pretty, but they would get the job done.

I came across an original review on the Pinto from when it came out in 1969. The reviewer remarked on the comparitively large size of the engine bay and even went as far as to measure a 302 to confirm that it would fit with minor mods!