Engine Carburetor spacer suggestions?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
83 mustang 302... I am replacing the carb and will NOT be reusing the EGR carb plate.....
Does anyone have any suggestions on to what to replace it with? There seem to be many different materials they come in..
metal, Phenolic, plastic, wood ???
Should I stick with the 4 hole type? Seems as if I have read where that improves low end response
DSCF0952.JPG
?
TY as always
DSCF0951.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Ever thought of a multi layer heat insulator spacer? This one even comes with the shield for the bowls.

And it’s still wrong to look up Holley and find Mr. Gasket stuff in with it. Happy browsing.

I want to keep it the same height as the original which is 3/4".. I don't want any throttle linkage or hood problems doing a different height... I have the original heat shield off the car.. Not sure If I was going to clean it up and reuse it or not..
DSCF0955.JPG

I want to keep it the same height as the original which is 3/4".. I don't want any throttle linkage or hood problems doing a different height... I have the original heat shield off the car.. Not sure If I was going to clean it up and reuse it or not..
DSCF0955.JPG
The carb will stay cooler without the EGR plate. And when I upgraded the 302 2bbl to an Edelbrock EGR intake, added that plate you are getting rid of to keep EGR functional, and put a Holley 1850-? carb on top, I did not have vapor lock issues. But might it have run better cooler?

I have a heat spacer on an Olds V-8, and phenolic spacers from the factory on a flat six. I would have gone with a heat shield on the Olds V-8 if a kit (in the right thickness) had been in stock, especially at the price difference. And the Mustang has not a lot of extra space around the engine for excess cooling.:,/

The carb will stay cooler without the EGR plate. And when I upgraded the 302 2bbl to an Edelbrock EGR intake, added that plate you are getting rid of to keep EGR functional, and put a Holley 1850-? carb on top, I did not have vapor lock issues. But might it have run better cooler?
Have to agree with you, without all the heat the EGR plated must of created not sure I need the heat shield... Looks to me like the main reason for the heat shield was because of the EGR spacer heat....
At this point I am leaning towards a 1" phenolic spacer with a gasket on each side with the new carb..... Keep it simple...
I can always add the heat shield at a later date.....

Reactions: 1 user