Changing Rear Brake Pads

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by stang357, Mar 21, 2009.

1. stang357

stang357 New Member

I am attempting to change my rear brake pads. I found out after my frustration with a c-clamp method of compressing the piston that I need a special reset tool. I purchased it and am turning the tool via a rachet in a clockwise direction. I understand that this is to compress the piston to it's rested posision. Unfortunately, it is not. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. stang357

stang357 New Member

Got it figured out...

OK. For anyone interested... I found that for whatever reason... you need to turn the callipar reset tool in a counterclockwise direction to turn the piston all the way out before compressing it (in a clockwise direction). It is the only way it will seat. I hope this is helpful to someone. I know I could have used this information 9 hours ago! As simple as it ended up being, this was an all day project. The second wheel took me about 20 minutes.
  3. Skymarshal

Skymarshal Member

I'm not sure why turning it counterclockwise helped. As far as I know, it only needs to be turned clockwise.

The way I got my pistons in was to use a large C-clamp to put pressure on the face of the piston while carefully turning it clockwise with channellocks. It worked like a charm!
  4. ChingonStang

ChingonStang Member

+1...and I hope you turned your rotors.
  5. MustangLX-5.0

MustangLX-5.0 Founding Member

+1

The rear rotors are especially prone to warping.Look at your rotors and take note as to whether or not the rotor surface is glazed.That is,a mirror shine.They should not have a mirror shine.That means they are glazed and the pads have been riding the surface excessively. -Caused by either a slightly sticking parking brake,a person who rides the brakes (resting foot on pedal) or calipers that stick.- New pads wont stop as well if the rotor surface is too slick.Have them turned by a shop or buy new rotors.

And finally,make sure you added caliper grease to the caliper slide pins.This will help prevent future issues of sticking calipers and pre-mature worn pads/rotors.