Check engine light on 96 cobra??

96whitecobra

Feb 29, 2004
I have a 96 cobra and the check engine light seems to come on every 2000 miles or so and will be on and off for a few weeks then disappear. I read the owners manuel and they said something about an emissions problem. The exhaust is all stock. Is it possible that it might have something to do with changing oil?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got almost the same problem, but haven't paid much attention to the miles. Every once in a while it will come on. Some times hot, sometimes cold etc. No real pattern. Also read something in owners manual about running low on gas, but not out, and air bubble gets in there and doesn't get out even when u fill tank up. So i've been trying to fill my tank when it gets half full to see if it helps.

I had my checkengine light go off and on for a week and found out it was because I had the gas cap off while engine was on once. I asked the dealer and they said disconnect the battery for awhile. It takes time for it to figure out your gas cap is on I guess, because the light does not come back now. :shrug:

The only way to find out what is wrong is to have the codes scanned...go to Autozone and they'll do it for free so you know what sensor is bad...let everyone on here know what codes come back and we'll let you know what needs to be replaced...