check engine light on....97 grand marquis

LB0193

Dec 6, 2005
IL
The check engine light went on (97 grand marquis) took the car to advance auto parts they ran the code it came back as catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1 p0420
The guy said it could be a bad cat or bad 02 sensors.....but he couldn’t give me a straight answer said I would have to take the car into a shop so they could scan it better...I thought that was the point of them having a scanner....anyway does anyone know exactly would this code means......I am thinking of just replacing the 02 sensors and hoping that’s it......what do u guys think.....

• Sponsors (?)

I just had this problem with a '97 Mountaineer. First it started with O2 sensor fault codes, so I replaced the front O2 sensors and crossed my fingers. For about 25 miles, I thought all was well - then the CEL lit up again with the "catalyst efficiency" code - which it was NOT showing before.

I was about to replace the headers and cat-back exhaust parts anyway, so I went ahead and replaced the front cats and the rear O2 sensors; did it all at once.

There's a good chance that fresh O2 sensors (front and rear) will fix this - and if that doesn't do the trick, you're not out any money - the new sensors can be swapped to the replacement cat(s) / downpipe(s). Try your idea first before laying out the cash for new cats (the "EPA tax").