cloning an SVO with my 91

Twilight Blue

Aug 3, 2005
I'm on a quest to copy the mechanical aspects of the SVO with my 91 hatch. Right now, I'm concentrating on the legs of the hores. So far, I have put in a 5 lug conversion kit. It still uses rear drums however. I put on 17X8 Edelbrock 454 wheels but the tires rub with passengers and on bumps and pot holes. I'm thinking I need new coil springs as the shocks were replaced when the 5-lug kit was put in. I am currently trying to get the suspension to meet or exeed the handling of the SVO. I'd like to put in the quad koni shocks in the rear. Can I do that with the current axles and differential? How do I mount the extra shocks? Is there any difference with the SVO rear coils etc than the 4cyl 87-93? All the aftermarket coils seem to lower. I don't want to lower, the tires are rubbing as is. What do I need to get in order to meet SVO specs? Is a K-member a worthwhile investment. It would require coilovers for the front. Can a K-member work for a 2.3? I've got my eye on the one from UPR. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Quad shocks don't improve handling, they were only designed to minimize wheel hop during acceleration from a stop.

To eliminate the rubbing tires, you can first try rolling the fender lips. If that doesn't work, the offset of the wheels is just wrong and there is no way around it, aside from narrowing the rear end ($$$) or going to a smaller tire.

To meet/exceed the handling of an SVO, all you need is some larger anti-roll bars and stiffer springs.