clutch problems

i have a 2000 gt with a king cobra clutch. ever since i have had the car (2 yrs) the clutch has always been extremely stiff. even after the install of the king cobra its still hard. Well back in january my clutch cable snapped so i had it replaced. the car came with a 2 fork steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster and the place i took it to took out my firewall adjuster and quadrant and replaced it with a regular quadrant and a steeda adjustable cable, well it still remained stiff and in april it snapped again. well i had the cable replaced once again and put back in my 2 fork quadrant. i am starting to have the same problem i did back before it broke in april which is that when i put the clutch in, the clutch does not release all the way and so i have trouble shifting in and out of gears, especially first and reverse. any suggestions as to what my problem could be. also i am thinking of replacing my clutch and cable once again and am wondering which is a better set up to go with.

Thanks guys....

• Sponsors (?)

it's your cable..ged rid of the steeda cable and go back to the oem one...or order the maximum motorsports non adjustable cable..

i had the same exact problem.. it got to where i couldnt even put my car in reverse at all...getting it into1st took all my body strength and forget about trying to shift the car past 3 grand cause it wasnt even going to happen...i pulled the steeda cable out, put my stock one back in and ive never had a problem since then

so go buy a stock cable or the mm cable and keep your new quadrant in and firewall adjuster in and you'll be set to go...shouldnt be stiff at all afer that...my king cobra felt like the stock clutch..but even if it is a little stiff, at least youll be able to shift your car again :nice:

it's your cable..ged rid of the steeda cable and go back to the oem one...or order the maximum motorsports non adjustable cable..

i had the same exact problem.. it got to where i couldnt even put my car in reverse at all...getting it into1st took all my body strength and forget about trying to shift the car past 3 grand cause it wasnt even going to happen...i pulled the steeda cable out, put my stock one back in and ive never had a problem since then

so go buy a stock cable or the mm cable and keep your new quadrant in and firewall adjuster in and you'll be set to go...shouldnt be stiff at all afer that...my king cobra felt like the stock clutch..but even if it is a little stiff, at least youll be able to shift your car again :nice:

thx for the info...i purchased the OEM cable, left my 2 fork quadrant in and added back the firewall adjuster and that did the trick...clutch is disengaging perfectly and the clutch pedal is as soft as it should have been all along...only problem now that i have is my clutch pedal is up really high and so i want to lower just afraid of adjusting the cable since its working great right now...any suggestions would be helpful....

thx for the info...i purchased the OEM cable, left my 2 fork quadrant in and added back the firewall adjuster and that did the trick...clutch is disengaging perfectly and the clutch pedal is as soft as it should have been all along...only problem now that i have is my clutch pedal is up really high and so i want to lower just afraid of adjusting the cable since its working great right now...any suggestions would be helpful....

Posted via Mobile Device no problem man! glad to hear it worked out for you..i think my pedal was a little high after that but its back tó normal now...

Posted via Mobile Device no problem man! glad to hear it worked out for you..i think my pedal was a little high after that but its back tó normal now...

you know, i did notice that the pedal has dropped some since the cable was changed out on saturday but its still a little too high for my liking...i just heard about a pedal adjust MM offers so i may look into that but im just afraid of messing with the cable adjustment once again since its working smoothly right now...

I had a similiar problem, turned out to be a bent clutch fork. I replaced that(its cheap) and the pivot ball and I was golden, may want to get under the car and check that.

i did hear about that as well...i took the easy route first and changed the cheaper part which made a world of a difference...if i notice that the pedal begins to get stiff once again and/or my clutch starts not disengaging all the way then my next step will be to drop the tranny and look around and see...thx fellas...