Clutch replacement

My clutch got messed up, it started making a loud screeching noise and the shifter and clutch pedal would shake or vibrate soflty, while looking for a place to park the clutch made a metal against metal clunking sound everytime I pressed it and it made the pedal a little stiffer. I bought a new clutch and flywheel, I was wondering if anyone would recommend me doing the job. Ive never replaced a clutch before but I do have some mechanical experience. There is a shop that lets you use the tools and the lifts for a small fee, otherwise I would get charged 460 bucks with a local mechanic. what would you do or reccommend?

• Sponsors (?)

First, I've never done a clutch before. But have been contemplating doing trans work on my own. It's not hard, just time consuming. Big bonus for you, a shop that lets you use a lift and tools for a fee. I WISH there was a place like that around here. What I wrote below, is a heads up. Read it. Its most of what you need to do to remove the trans from the vehicle. See if you still dont mind doing the work afterwards.

Here's what you will need to do. Remove center console, and remove shift knob + boot (both outer leather boot and rubber boot attached to metal plate underneath). Disconnect battery. Place car on lift securely and prop it up. Remove metal cover over clutch fork. Remove nut and fiting at end of cable where it attaches to clutch fork. Fun stuff....... remove exhaust system. The exhaust has a couple rubber boots that are on metal hangers. I suggest lubing those up with silicone before attempting to pull hangers out otherwise it's very tight and difficult. Remove the 2 flange nuts securing midpipe to front catalyst portion. PUt rear section aside. Disconnect your O2 sensors from the wiring harness, and then remove all 4 from the pipe ( you may need to spray the threaded areas with PB blaster and let it soak a few minutes before trying to remove). After O2's are out, get the PB and spray all the exhaust header to front collector nuts. These are the 2 nuts that secure the catalyst section of your exhaust to the header pipes. These nuts will be VERY tight and may need several repeat treatments of PB. If possible, get an impact wrench with ann appropriate impact socket and extention and nail the bolts with that... slowly. THis will make the job a LOT easier. After all 4 nuts are removed, you'll want to slide the exhaust back off of the trans crossmember. Set the exhaust aside. Now, you may not need to replace the flywheel, but it still may need resurfacing (like a brake rotor). In either case, pull the old flywheel. First, remove the starter. More fun stuff. Disconnect speedo wiring from trans, and also disconnect backup lamp wiring. Mark the position of the driveshaft rear yolk against the differential. This is so you don't lose the correct position ... as it it balanced a certain way. Remove the 4 bolts attaching driveshaft to rear diff. and slide driveshaft backwards off the trans output shaft. Put a plastic bag over the tailshaft so trans fluid dont leak all over... Now here is the part I have NEVER done. Get a transmission jack and place it properly under the trans, making sure that the jack just barely starts to lift it. Now removed transmission crossmember. There are several bolts that go all the way around the transmission bellhousing to engine. Remove these bolts, working your way around the trans. Make sure the trans jack is securely in position. You dont want the trans inadverdently shifting out of place. When you get all the bolts removed, the trans should slide backwards (like the driveshaft).

As far as the rest....I dont know exactly. If you want to tackle this, then have at it. Just be prepared for some knuckle busting :p . If you can, get some help from a tech.

Well I went ahead and started the job, got kind of lost in the process but luckily enough one of my buddies was working on his car in the bay next to mine and it took the both of us 4 hours to finish up the job, I didnt bother resurfacing the old flywheel so we just replaced it with a new one. Runs good. Thanks!!