COBRASK8's new stripe idea

chepsk8

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2001
Easton, PA
Over the weekend, I taped out my idea for stripes on the car, using vinyl from a local graphics store, and tape stripe from an auto parts store.

My inspiration was the FFR Roadster HOT ROD project car at the FFR nationals I saw this year...

HOTRODstripedFFRCobra.jpg

and came up with this...

Cobrask8withstripesRF.jpg

Cobrask8withstripestop.jpg

Cobrask8withstripesLF.jpg

I figured this would be a good way to try this idea aout before paint. The final sceme will be Indian Fire (burnt orange) paint, with the stripes being white and medium grey.

Waddaya think? :banana:

Attachments

• HOTRODstripedFFRCobra.jpg
    HOTRODstripedFFRCobra.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Cobrask8withstripesRF.jpg
    Cobrask8withstripesRF.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Cobrask8withstripestop.jpg
    Cobrask8withstripestop.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 80
  • Cobrask8withstripesLF.jpg
    Cobrask8withstripesLF.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

Ford re-named a few colors differently for the Mustang. Indian Fire is Burnt Orange, Candy Apple Red is Cardinal Red, and so on.

The actual color I am leaning towards currently is the Burnt Orange used by Ford on the new Focus & Trucks, or the Burnt Orange used by GM on the small cars & trucks. (maybe the same?)

MY opinion, and it's only worht what you've paid for it... I don't care for it myself. Has sort of a 70's look to it, I know that was your hey-day, but, I think it looks a little whacky.

That said, I don't care for the top pic either, I feel the white stripe is too wide when it comes down the side, I think it should be about double the width of the grey, not the 4x it is now. Then again, neither is my car.

My gosh, now we know where the whole unbalanced stripe look on all the ricers came from. 1984!!!! (I hope Big Brother wasn't watching.....)

1320stang said:
My gosh, now we know where the whole unbalanced stripe look on all the ricers came from. 1984!!!! (I hope Big Brother wasn't watching.....)
Watching?!?! He was lighting the bong!!! :rlaugh:

btw......I posted my picture entirely tongue-in-cheek, never meant to be taken as a serious pattern! Just like the day I painted it! :rolleyes:

On my old 68 convertible, I airbrushed flames on the hood using a Badger model car airbrush, and on an old Cougar, hand painted the Lynyrd Skynyrd skeleton on the trunk! Always scribbling on cars.......

1320stang said:
MY opinion, and it's only worht what you've paid for it... I don't care for it myself. Has sort of a 70's look to it, I know that was your hey-day, but, I think it looks a little whacky.

That said, I don't care for the top pic either, I feel the white stripe is too wide when it comes down the side, I think it should be about double the width of the grey, not the 4x it is now. Then again, neither is my car.

I agree, it has that 70's goofy/cheesy/tacky look to it, might just be the colors moreso than the design though.

I think the cobra's styling speaks for itself, like most classic cars, it doesn't need a bold paint job to look good.

White "Shelby" stripes, running the length of the car, white number circles on the doors trunk and hood, and an angled stripe on the driver's fender. :) Saw one yesterday, It was beautiful.

I kind of like the stripes you laid out just not the part where it crosses over the nose.

You probably see more of them than I do. I was talking about the classic stripes but with a more "race replica" look. The simple blue/red/yellow with white/white/black stripe paint jobs everyone does looks good but is played out which is why I figure you are going for something different.

I love this paint job:
1963%20Shelby%20Cobra.jpg

Well the server with my original pic went down so here is another of the same car with her boots on :)
img01pop.jpg

I found this as well:
http://www.worldwidegarage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=375

My first ideas centered around just painting the car burnt Orange, and doing some sort of "Gurney Stripe".

Ah, my dream car, a genuine 289 Cobra factory race car. Droooooooollllll....... :hail2: :hail2: :hail2: