Cold Air Intake/Check Engine

I was reading up on Dynomax exhaust systems when i came upon their FAQ page and stumbled upon this

"Hi,

I searched the forum to see if anybody posted this question up yet. So here it is. I just installed a cold air intake for my 2000gt. I noticed after driving it for a half hour the service engine soon light came up. I then disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to reset the computer then reattached it again. Soon after I started driving it the light appeared once more. What can I do to have this light go off? I checked all the plugs and they are all fastened. Does leaving the battery unplugged for longer like an hour do any more use? My car is relatively stock except for a cat back exhaust.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks"

and a reply

"The addition of a cold air kit flows more air to the intake than the stock sonsors recognize. The added air will trip the sensors because the car thinks it is running too lean. Usually, when the cold air kit is added, the injectors most also be upgraded to balance out the fuel/air mixture. Atleast that is what I've always been told"

I am not real car guy myself but i believe i might have the same problem with mine. Is this stuff true or just a bunch of he said, she said sort of thing. Anybody else notice the same problem on their car, i understand hes talking about a V8 but im sure its gotta be the same for our V6

• Sponsors (?)

:shrug: I mean it's true, an aftermarket CAI does flow more air in than a stock one, but I don't think it's that much to where the MAF sensor (Mass Aif Flow) will get bugged about it. I've heard about it happening a few times, but i've never personally had that probalem. You can try asking ford or waiting to see if any one on here knows 100% sure what the deal is

My Son's 04 3.8L V6 has a Mass Ait Intake problem as well. When we put the Mass Air Intake kit on it the engine runs very rough and has a dry grinding sound on the rigth side of the engine, But no check engine light.... :shrug:

Ok to help you guys out, The stock fuel system can be take decently far without needed an upgrade, you could even push it by supercharging ur car and not needed to upgrade the fuel system. So a simple cold air intake kit would do nothing to your fuel system. Just take the car to advanced auto parts and have them check the codes for u and they will tell u whats wrong, but i can tell u it has nothing to do with your fuel system because i have more than a few things done to my stang and the stock fuel system and the car doesnt bug out at all it idles smooth and speeds even smoother. Try checking to see that u have all ur sensors on the intake hooked up right and that no unmetered air is getting into your engine, then try cleaning the MAF and AIT sensors with electrical cleaner, preferably CRC electrical contact cleaner, you can get that at Advanced auto parts for like 3 bucks and it works great because i can vouch for that. and anyway out of curiosity what kind/brand intake are u using?

Hope i helped :flag: :flag:

I have heard of an issue where sometimes the oil used in say a K&N air filter (and many other filters like it) will get stuck on the MAF sensor, throwing the readings off. All you have to do, if this is the case, is clean it exactly as GTA_V6_Mustang said. But be very careful with the sensor and do not touch the sensor, it could damage the sensor and really throw the readings off.

As long as you didn't change the MAF sensor all should be well. The sensor is calibrated to your injectors, example...stock 19 lb, Cobra 24 lb and so on.
Mass air cars measure before..Speed density cars after... ie with the MAP sensor
Mass air calculation is how these Cold air/ Ram air setups are able to give you a little more. Think about it. Denser air, more fuel.. weeee.
They were more effective before OBD-II hit in 96. To get the most out of them on OBD-II cars you should flash your chip.

As far as K&N wicking oil and messing up the sensor I doubt it, but anything is possible.
My man above said make sure everything is nice and tight :nice: if you have an air leak after the MAF well... rough idle, and so on.

BTW did you remove the screens in your sensor? :nonono:

To be honest most of them leave a lot to be desired quality wise.

Well I hear ya,
I had almost the same problem........I went to PEPBOYS and they gave me the code reader (it is FREE by the way) and we checked the codes and it said "INSUFF. AIR FLOW" or something like that so I went back to the Shop where I had the CAI installed and they said it was "OK" now ......They probably disconn. the battery and that reset the Comp. although after a few hours the lite came back on--so I did some research and found out that the SELENOID SENSOR was gone bad and bought it from a local Ford dealership(about $30) and everything is fine now,

So check that first before you do any MAJOR money flow out of ur pocket.........

I have the "engine lean in bank I and bank II" codes or sommat... but I think mine's a real leak (I'm leaking coolant a bit too and I'm thinking I screwed up on the lower intake...AAAANYways), though I did have the engine light come on before I rebuilt the top of the engine, so Iunno. Try cleaning it like everyone else said... and I'll go to work on finding what I'm gonna do with mine...

did you ever figure out a solution, or what the problem really was???

i have a CAI from ebay that works just great that i put in this summer (and now that it's getting cooler finally here in AL i'm really noticing the difference =D!)... and i had the same problem, i actually HAVE a code scanner (the same one used at Advance and Autozone and everywhere else)... and i was getting lean bank 1 code.. . and it would go on and off for about two or three weeks, but since then it hasnt done it at all, i just re-tightened all clamps and such to make sure it was good, but other than that i didnt do anything..... maybe that fixed it, maybe it fixed itself... i'm not sure.

just let me know about yours...

and i'm thinking about going to a larger TB and injectors now that i have this... i had hear that a larger TB actually increases HP but hurts low-end Torque when done to a stock mustang, but i'm thinking with the increased air from my CAI it will help.