Compression ratio?

trickfull25tx

Apr 27, 2004
im going to supercharge the new gt when i get mine in about a year or so. yeah i know get a cobra. but insurance= ouch! What will be the compression ratio on the new 4.6 3 valve. also imressions on charging the new gt will be welcome.

Ive learned my lesson on my 98. lots of bolt ons doesnt mean crap.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

trickfull25tx said:
9.8. thats pretty high. not eactly blower friendly. :(

Chris

The compression ratio bump is due to a more knock resistant combustion chamber. The car still runs on 87 octane so boosting the 3 valve motor to levels that the 2 valve likes should be entirely possible. The internals will see higher stresses though.

it will be intersting to see how the supercharged mach ive been reading about holds up long term with its 10.1 ratio and its internals.

We will see we will see. i was considering a mach until i read that supercharging it is not a very safe project.

Chris

My next stang will be blown

trickfull25tx said:
Ive learned my lesson on my 98. lots of bolt ons doesnt mean crap.

I know nothing about super chargers, but was considering adding some stuff to my 99 GT... what do you mean about the bolt ons not doing crap? What happened in your experience? This may help me decide what i want to do to my stang.

IMO bolts ons do not much. in retrospect i should have just saved up and done a supercharger or at the least Nitrous

my mods

CAI
pulles
trottle body
flows
off road h pipe
pro 5.0
king cobra clutch
im probally forgetting some stuff

in thems of perfomace the exhuast didnt mean much but i love the way it sounds now

the shifter is nice(dont miss gears as much)

only thing i did that made a real difference is the gears.

trickfull25tx said:
We will see we will see. i was considering a mach until i read that supercharging it is not a very safe project.

Why would you supercharge a Mach 1 DOHC 4.6L when Ford already makes a Supercharged version of that same engine that is tuned to handle a lot of boost in the Cobra?

trickfull25tx said:
im going to supercharge the new gt when i get mine in about a year or so. yeah i know get a cobra. but insurance= ouch! What will be the compression ratio on the new 4.6 3 valve. also imressions on charging the new gt will be welcome.

So you won't be insuring the mods? You'll probably put $4000-$6000 into the car if your adding a S/C and all the mods/tuning that go into it.

Z28x said:
Why would you supercharge a Mach 1 DOHC 4.6L when Ford already makes a Supercharged version of that same engine that is tuned to handle a lot of boost in the Cobra?

So you won't be insuring the mods? You'll probably put $4000-$6000 into the car if your adding a S/C and all the mods/tuning that go into it.

yes i know but insuring a cobra is too expensive for me. if you can afford it then go ahead. i will sell my 98 since i will own it to get a supercharger for the 05

Chris

trickfull25tx said:

It all depends on how crazy you get with the boost and how aggressively you drive. From what I understand, the current stock mod motors will hold up fairly well with 6-8 psi boost. Beyond that you'd want to consider beefing up the internals or making more power in other ways.

trickfull25tx said:
yes i know but insuring a cobra is too expensive for me. if you can afford it then go ahead. i will sell my 98 since i will own it to get a supercharger for the 05

Chris

A lot of the insurance cost has to due with the cars value, not so much HP. So a $35,000 Cobra will always be more to insure than a $26K GT. Used Cobra might be a different story, but you would have to check with the insurance co.

Price a 2001 Cobra vs. a 2004 GT with the insurance co. and you will see how car value has more to due with it than HP

Z28x said:
A lot of the insurance cost has to due with the cars value, not so much HP. So a $35,000 Cobra will always be more to insure than a $26K GT. Used Cobra might be a different story, but you would have to check with the insurance co.

Price a 2001 Cobra vs. a 2004 GT with the insurance co. and you will see how car value has more to due with it than HP

if you notice i never said it had to be because of the HP. i know it has to do with value. ive priced the 03 cobra insurance and it more than im willing to pay. also i have thought about a 01 cobra. it would be nice to have svt cobra because of exclusivity. havent quite ruled out that option either

shatner saves said:
The compression ratio bump is due to a more knock resistant combustion chamber. The car still runs on 87 octane so boosting the 3 valve motor to levels that the 2 valve likes should be entirely possible. The internals will see higher stresses though.

The spark plug location on the 3V heads (near the center of the combustion chamber) is also part of the reason why the CR is higher and it still runs on 87 octane.

You are correct, Shatner, that even with the 9.8:1, the engine should tolerate the same levels of boost as the old 2V engine. The rest of you need to quit thinking in terms of the CR as an absolute #.

In 1973 - 1975 some American engines had compression ratios as low as 8.0:1 and they ran like crap on 87 Octane, pinging, knocking and dieseling. It is now 30 years later and we have engines with 9.8:1 CR that run great on 87 Octane.

New technology has allowed significantly higher compression ratios on the same octane gas.

trickfull25tx said:
if you notice i never said it had to be because of the HP. i know it has to do with value. ive priced the 03 cobra insurance and it more than im willing to pay. also i have thought about a 01 cobra. it would be nice to have svt cobra because of exclusivity. havent quite ruled out that option either

Look at the breakdown on the cost of your insurance. The largest part of your insurance is your liability coverage NOT the replacement value of your car. More HP, 2 doors, performance model, manual transmission, etc. all drive up the cost of the liability portion of your insurance.

My $45K sticker Lincoln LS V8 cost less to insure than my $26K sticker Mustang GT. And, the Lincoln is 2 years newer and is driven 3 times the miles / year as the Mustang.

yeah im still leaning toward supercharging a 05. people keep just telling me "get a cobra" i have my reasons for not going that route. yeah and i know its more about just compression. it has to do with all kinds of stuff and i dont plan on boosting like crazy. about 8 pounds is enought for me and i think it will be safe on the new engine.

I wonder how long it will be before they come out with kits for the new 05?

Chris

I'm going with the Kenne Bell super charger when it's available. You should check out the site. They sound like the best super charger around. Better than centrifical and roots style.

http://www.kennebell.net/index.htm

I'm with you on the insurance thing. I don't care what raises insurance, you can break it down for me however you want. Bottom line is I'll bet my left n** that the insurance on a Cobra is going to be way higher than a GT. So please don't suggest that I "just go buy a cobra" either. I'll stick with a GT and super charger.

I'm sure that we won't have to wait that long for a Kenne Bell. I think I read somewhere that there already working on a kit for the new F150 engine so adapting it to the 05 shouldn't take that long. I hope.

Toney C said:
I'm going with the Kenne Bell super charger when it's available. You should check out the site. They sound like the best super charger around. Better than centrifical and roots style.

http://www.kennebell.net/index.htm

I'm with you on the insurance thing. I don't care what raises insurance, you can break it down for me however you want. Bottom line is I'll bet my left n** that the insurance on a Cobra is going to be way higher than a GT. So please don't suggest that I "just go buy a cobra" either. I'll stick with a GT and super charger.

I'm sure that you realize that if you get into an accident and your insurance company finds you you put on a power adder, like a S/C, they can deny your insurance coverage (unless you informed them of the modification and they OKed it).

351CJ said:
I'm sure that you realize that if you get into an accident and your insurance company finds you you put on a power adder, like a S/C, they can deny your insurance coverage (unless you informed them of the modification and they OKed it).

I'll be sure to do that, Thanks DAD.

No offense really 351CJ but I do realize that, as I'm sure everyone who modifies cars in general.

Toney C said:
I'll be sure to do that, Thanks DAD.

Give me a break dude. How many people tell there insurance company that they've made a modification to there vehicle. No offense fellow mustang man but please go preach to someone without a clue. Your barking up the wrong tree here.

He is right, stuff like exhust and CAI are not a big deal, but some insurance companies can be a PITA.

Read this article: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02910534