Confused about the GT Engine...

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by Agranado, Jul 6, 2004.

1. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

Not quite correct. The 4.6L 3V block is a new casting. It is supposedly both more rigid and lighter than the old 4V aluminum block.

If you go back and search for the 05 Mustang press releases, they talk about the new block.

05 Mustang Overview Press Release

05 Stang Powertrain press release
    In addition, a couple of the car rag preview articles on the 05 Stang mentioned that the block was new.
  2. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

I bet they weigh a lot more than that.

Also doesn't the Cobra engine have an aluminum intake manifold, that would add another 10 lb too.
  3. SVTdriver

SVTdriver Founding Member

At this point I personally would bet that rumors of a V10 cobra mustang are greatly exxagerated. Especially with all the work Ford has been putting into it's V8 motors so far. There are a lot of V8 engines to choose from. Long before you get to the V10.
  4. SVTdriver

SVTdriver Founding Member

So far I have found varying weight fors the DOHC heads. But complete with sparkplugs the highest weight I have seen is 68lb. But it has also been stated as low as 55lbs. With the hollow camshafts and all the other work they did to lighten it. Doesn't it seem just a little ridiculous to only gain 9 lbs but have all the extra expense of an aluminum block cast in Italy?
  5. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

Look at it the other way, if they had used an iron block on the 99-01 Cobra engine, it would have weighed 60lb more than the iron block SOHC engine.

I'd bet that the intent of the aluminum block was just to keep the total weight of the 4V about same or less than the iron block 2V.

Again, doesn't the DOHC engine have an aluminum intake manifold? That adds a bunch of weight over the SOHC plastic manifold. Look at the FR-500 engine, FRPP used a magnesium intake manifold in order to save a few lb. Ford is putting out some major effort to shave weight off the mod motor.
  6. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

I agree, it is doubtful that we will ever see a V10 Mustang. I'd love to see a 351 CID, V10 Stang, but at this point we stand a much better chance of getting a Mustang model with a version of the new 6.2L Huricane V8 than of getting a V10. Bill Ford made a comment a while back about the Ford brand having a long and strong tradition built around V8 engines. That says it all.

I'd say there is a slight chance we'll see the V10 in a VERY limited production SE like a Cobra R, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a V10 Mustang.

What Ford REALLY needs to do is make a low deck version of the upcoming Huricane with the same stroke as the 4.6L. This would work out to 5.3L. With it's larger 96.6mm bore (bigger valves which means better airflow) a 5.3L V8 like this would blow the present 5.4L away in a Mustang or similar car application. 400 HP normally aspirated would be a piece of cake for such an engine with 3V heads, normally aspirated. It would be exactly what Ford needs to compete with the 400 HP GM engine.
  7. TomServo92

TomServo92 New Member

Aren't two new 3V engines (4.6L and 5.4L) the same block with a longer stroke in the 5.4L? That being the case, it seems fitting the 5.4 into the Mustang would be no problem since the physical dimensions (especially deck height) are the same.
  8. RandyB

RandyB New Member

They are still different deck heights, as before.
  9. TomServo92

TomServo92 New Member

OK. I swear I read somewhere that the deck heights were the same on the new 3V engines but I can't find it anymore. :(
  10. 351CJ

351CJ New Member

If you read that, whomever wrote it is incorrect. The deck heights are exactly the same as the old engines. 8.937" for the 4.6 and 10.0787 for the 5.4L
  11. TomServo92

TomServo92 New Member

I believe ya! Based on your previous posts, I know you tend to have your facts straight.

Maybe I dreamed it.... :shrug: