Considering O/R x pipe

I am looking at getting a BBK o/r x pipe but I live in Cali and have to constantly worry about emissions. Are they really that beneficial, I don't care that they make the exhaust sound louder, I am not a teen who needs to be noticed. I just want to know if there are any positive engine bens, like better fuel mileage or increased hp, seat of the pants feel.

I talked to a shop who said if I get caught I am in big trouble, so has anybody been caught or is that just a scare tactic.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well im not in cali but i have emissions you can buy the MIl kits will turn off engine light .also since your in Cali they are more worse out there on that law...also NO online shop will ship an O/R pipe to cali says it on every site:shrug:

I just bought a 98 GT..it has a BBK high flow catted X pipe with flows it sounds awesome..I just sold my 93 GT it had an off road H -pipe and flows totally different sounding..i know the motors are different but the exhaust tones are really different X vs H....lol...

on the 4.6 the x pipe is louder but the H is deeper

This car seems to be quiet at idle but Roars when you step on it...I love the sound of it i just picked the car up today its my 1st 4.6 lol..I have an 87 GT convertible...just sold my 93 GT convertible,,and i had an 85 GT...i love the sound of the 4.6 it screams with the X pipe and flows...:nice: