couple of quick questions

mustang112119

Apr 1, 2005
ive just been wondering why people run externally mounted waste gates what are the benefits of this and in what situations would you use these and what does the different sizes mean like 38 mm and such and another question i have is what is the premium fuel switch that evertone mentions i dont think my 86 had one thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Well I can't help you with the wastegate but the "Premium Fuel Switch" is referring to the computer. You connect two pins and its enabled. I'm guessing it allows the computer to push the engine a little further.. I don't know exactly what it does.

external waste gates are ran so the boost will spike to a higher psi (meaning more hp). turning on youre premium fuel switch usually goes hand and hand with external waste gates. the premium fuel switch retards timing to maximize boost spike pressure

lit_mike_2001 said:
external waste gates are ran so the boost will spike to a higher psi (meaning more hp). turning on youre premium fuel switch usually goes hand and hand with external waste gates. the premium fuel switch retards timing to maximize boost spike pressure

Damn dude, don't come in here and talk out of your ass. You're completely wrong, and if you have an external wastegate hooked up the premium switch will be null and void because it can only be used with the stock boost controller. While you could probably hook the stock boost controller up to an external wastegate...WHY? You'd be limited to 15 psi and that's barely scratching the surface on a 2.3L Turbo. Oh yeah, the premium switch has nothing to do with the timing. :nonono:

Ok, I know that I know more about external wastegates than this guy.

What I do know is that external wastegates are often run at high horsepower levels because they allow you to fine-tune the boost level. External wastegates flow a lot better than internal ones, plus most aftermarket turbos have no internal wastegate available for them. I don't know what the 38mm, etc means exactly but I assume it refers to the size of the opening the wastegate uses.

And no, you don't need an external wastegate for 300 hp.

External wastegates are used in most cases when you are having trouble controlling boost with an internal gate (meaning you are making more power, flowing more air, etc. than the small internal gate can handle). At this point people upgrade to external gates so they can again control the boost level.

There is no preset HP level where an external is needed as there are tons of variables involved. The main ones are boost pressure and exhaust backpressure.

Also, external gates still don't allow you to easily change your boost levels. You either need an adjustable boost controller (like you use with an internal as well) or you have to change the spring in the external to get a new PSI.

The 38mm, etc. refers to the size of the valve inside the wastegate. Basically, the larger the gate, the more air it will flow and the more power it will support on the same engine.