Cross-country trip with Stang was a success despite the odds! A little long.

squall9393

Feb 7, 2004
Oceanside, CA
Cross-country trip with Stang was a success despite the odds! A bit long.

Well, as some of you know I was anxiously awaiting my trip out to Cali. No longer. I have arived to my final destination and I must say I am proud of how the Stang held up. Upon the completion of my journey, I fell just short of the 120,000 odometer marking by a mere few hundred miles. To date I am the 3rd owner of my Stang and it has been the longest trip that this car has yet to undertake. With a fresh oil change and new set of tires lemme tell you how the trip went briefly because it was not totally flawless.

My trip started on September 2nd and my first destination was Hoboken, NJ. Planning to spend a week or two with the girlfriend and then head down to Florida was foremost on my mind. Oh yeah and by the way my origination was Camp Lejeune, NC (for those that don't know where that is at it's on the central coast of NC also known as the Emerald Coast). Well I get to NJ and am having a blast there in NYC and such hanging with my girl and seeing old friends in the City that got out of the Corps and what not-- basically just living up the first of my 40 days of leave vacation-- then what happens? Yep, Florida starts getting pounded by the hurricanes. I wait an extra week for them to go by and geez there is no mercy by those storms. I call the folks up and my parents are like telling me it's best if I avoid Florida all together. Between gas stations being down and traffic and no power i could get stuck down there and be late reporting into my next command so I say --- OK. Damn! No Florida for me.

Well, with going to Florida out the question that's gonna write off visiting Melbourne, Orlando, Pensacola, friends in southern MS, and my stop in Dallas, TX. I was stuck in Jersey for a month to burn the rest of my vacation days and had to leave from there to come straight out here to Cali. Oh well, my girlfriend wasn't complaining that's for sure. Well, I definitely did a whole hell of a lot while I was there that's for sure. I found out how freakin big Central Park actually is, why people from the tri-state area are bad drivers, saw the local wild bar scene of course, discovered why God made alcohol (to keep the Irish from taking over the world) according to the local pubs, saw some good Broadway shows, saw the UN (always wondered what the hype was about on the news- now I know after a interesting tour), paid my respects to the memorial at Ground Zero, saw Liberty Island, Staten Island, Coney Island, I mean the tourist works here man :p Oh well all in all it was a great vacation with what was afford to me considering.

Now for the actual cross-country trip. Took about 3 1/2 days from Hoboken to Oceanside, CA. Car held up really well all the way up until i got to California state and then the brakes go out on me. Turns out despite repeated filling up the brake fluid, I got a bad brake line. Technician showed me where the rear right break line was rubbing against the fuel filter bracket and eventually punctured it. Told me it was probably due to lowering the car. I was like--- HUH? I haven't lowered my car yet. I figure it was because of the 18s. Maybe that changed how the car sits so I had Sears bend me new brake line away from the bracket and now the car is good after a oil change and a tire rotation.

Now to get started on that much awaited gear change and engine haul :rolleye:

Everyone in Southern Cali holla back and thanks to all who read my story :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome story man :nice:

Big props for serving our country too. :hail2:

I drove mine from Detroit to Topeka twice. Its 800 miles each way, and my stang was awesome. I set the cruise at 75mph and got ~26mpg for the trips. It got a little hairy when I hit some really major rain with the semi-bald drag radials, but I just took it easy and I was fine. :nice:

congrats on the mainly successful road trip. I do one around once a year, this year I drove a total of 1100 miles, but it was broken up like yours...my last trip was from Seattle to New York, and my stang hasn't had an issue yet..I'm telling ya, these cars are excellent on the highway...but you've already figured that out :nice:

And one more prop for serving your country, I'm up here in Canada serving, headed to Afghanistan in a little over 20 days, and it's good to see other's from around the world enjoying their stang when they're not out protecting the free world. Thanks alot :flag: