Dirty Whore!

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
Car got paint, thought I'd whore it out a bit. It's funny, the old paint on it was so bad, that now I'm seeing all sorts of dents and waves in the sheetmetal that I didn't know were there. I also replaced the original front bumper cover, which was cracked, and now I realize that the front passenger corner is tweaked a bit (probably also from whatever cracked the bumper). SO I'm going to try to straighten that out, I'm going to look into paintless dent removal, and of course I have a few more items to deal with, like the side belt moldings, installing a blue pill on the front clip, and deciding what to do with my 5.0 badges.

By the way, it's a very heavy metallic black, and all the trim is non-metallic black with a little flattener added to make it semi-gloss. I wanted the trim to have even less gloss, but the painter said he couldn't add any more flattener without having problems with the paint (???). I dunno, it didn't come out half bad, so I didn't really push him too hard.

Opinions welcome.

DSCN0838.jpg

DSCN0839.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Gawd, I love your car.

I vote for no badges. Or you can put magnets on the back of a set of them so they can come off along with your magnetic door moldings :p. But seriously, magnetic badges wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! The car is far from perfect, but it's at least presentable now. The old paint was so bad water wouldn't bead up on the hood and primer was visible through the paint in some areas in direct sunlight.

Looking good Nik!!!! Makes me really miss my 86 gt t-top I had. It was my first mustang! I know you've had a few threads lately so i probably missed this, who did the paint?

I'll update my progress thread today, i'm painting mine in my garage myself :)

Looking good Nik!!!! Makes me really miss my 86 gt t-top I had. It was my first mustang! I know you've had a few threads lately so i probably missed this, who did the paint?

I'll update my progress thread today, i'm painting mine in my garage myself :)

I did all the body work, car had a nasty dent in the hood, a million rock chips, etc, but I had a local body shop shoot the color. I think I'll spray the car next time it gets paint. It's something I would have liked to do myself but right now I'm underequipped and strapped for time. It probably would have sat all summer and that would have been unacceptable!

Looks fantastic!

I'd be curious too to hear about the prep work you did before hand. I'm planning to get my LX shot this summer or fall and am planning to do the same thing (remove all trim, body work, etc.)

Wow, looks awesome Nik. I bet you saved some money too having done the prep yourself. You have any pics of your process?

I do have some pics, I'll try to get them uploaded. I will say that I had no effin idea what I was doing, and this paint and bodywork thing is a black art. I've got a handle on it now, so I think I could do much better in the future. It's not like building an engine where ther are very exact procedures to do it right... There are a million different ways to do it right, a million ways to do it wrong, and every way takes a lot of time and patience and sandpaper.

Looks great! I like the metallic! What size tires do you have in the back?

Cheers

Thanks man, they're 275-40-17s. The rear wheels are 17x9 replicas.