DONT ORDER THE SIRIUS RADIO OPTION!!!!!

Racer X

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2000
Ok my buddy just took delivery of his Shelby GT500. 1st thing I see is this black terd on the trunk... looks like crap!!!! Yep its the antenna but guess what. Not only is it ugly to look at, but there are TWO HOLES DRILLED INTO THE TRUNK TO MOUNT IT!!!!!!! He is furious! What a mess!!!! Ford really F-d up this one. For $295 you get 3 months of Sirius and two holes in the trunk FOREVER!!! I took picks of it inside and out, if anyone is interested. I have no where to host right now..... I was supposed to get one... I wanted every option.. if I got it with that....ugh. DONT ORDER THAT... if you want sirius add it after market with a stick on antenna. There, I feel better. I hope everyone sees this in time.
*** see pics below***

• Sponsors (?)

Racer X said:
Ok my buddy just took delivery of his Shelby GT500. 1st thing I see is this black terd on the trunk... looks like crap!!!! Yep its the antenna but guess what. Not only is it ugly to look at, but there are TWO HOLES DRILLED INTO THE TRUNK TO MOUNT IT!!!!!!! He is furious! What a mess!!!! Ford really F-d up this one. For $295 you get 3 months of Sirius and two holes in the trunk FOREVER!!! I took picks of it inside and out, if anyone is interested. I have no where to host right now..... I was supposed to get one... I wanted every option.. if I got it with that....ugh. DONT ORDER THAT... if you want sirius add it after market with a stick on antenna. There, I feel better. I hope everyone sees this in time.

While I can certainly appreciate that advice. I'm not sure the stick on antennae is a better idea. I have XM on my audi. When my mother decided to take it to a car wash. I now have deep scratches from the antennae moving. So only handwash if you buy any satelite radio.

SVTdriver said:
While I can certainly appreciate that advice. I'm not sure the stick on antennae is a better idea. I have XM on my audi. When my mother decided to take it to a car wash. I now have deep scratches from the antennae moving. So only handwash if you buy any satelite radio.

I rented one of the Shelby GT-H from Hertz while in Ca this summer. The Sirius antenna was a stick kind and in the car on the dash. The signal was interupted now and then, but I would rather have that!!!!

Racer X said:
*** see pics below***

I saw it before I ordered it and it was only a 195 dollar option on mine. It's barely noticable on a Alloy Metallic car w/ a spoiler. I can't wait to have nothing more showing than a regular Shaker 500 and that little turd on the trunk lid, but have the 30G ipod tucked into the arm rest and Sirius radio. There have been pics of the antenna on a Alloy GT500 since June 18th.

View attachment 453605

06BLR85 said:
:jaw: Who ever thought of putting it there and the person who approved it should be shot in the face.

I agree, I thought it would have been the fin on top of the back or something atleast painted the same color as the exterior with a smooth finish. I assumed it would look like the factory satellite radio antennae from other factory vehicles from other manufacturers. It looks like they said oh crap we have to get this option out, how can we screw something onto the car for 3 bucks. As long as it doesn't leak on my Alloy I don't think it will be too noticable, I saw one on the lot up here without the stripes you can't really tell it's there unless you are looking for it.

Racer X,
Do you by chance have the approximate dimensions of that antenna? It looks even bigger than the Sirius antenna on the roof of my wife's Dodge Magnum. I ordered the Sirius option on the 2007 GT convertible that I ordered last week, but based on the photos I may call my salesman in the morning and tell him to cancel the option if I still can. It's too bad that they couldn't come up with something like the magnetic antenna that my XM aftermarket radio has. It's about 1-3/4 long by 1-1/4 wide and just a little over an inch tall. It fits perfectly on the black metal trim piece between the convertible top and the trunk lid of my 96cobra, and because it is also black it's barely noticable. I expected something closer to that from a factory installation.

Looking at those pictures is painful. I have a tiny little antenna with my XM that only cuts out under heavy and sustained cover. I would be bent if I had ordered that, hard to feel bad for him though....he has a GT500. You could paint a damn Barbie and Elvis scene on the side of my Shelby if i had one, yes i waited three years only to be outpriced like many others.:notnice:

I have an aftermarket antenna and told them i didn't want it on the paint at all they were able to mount on the plastic under the windshield washers and i get great reception. That is just terrible on fords part.

Its too bad that there isn't a way to order the Sirius option without an antenna and then install one of the small aftermarket magnetic ones, assuming that the ford unit used the same antenna conncetors as the aftermarket units. As I type this I'm trying to decide whether to call my salesman to see if he can delete the option on the car that I ordered last week.
Does anyone know if there is an auxilary input on a Shaker 500 unit? If so, my decision is made as I will just use my aftermarket XM Roady unit in the new car.

Marine One said:
Its too bad that there isn't a way to order the Sirius option without an antenna and then install one of the small aftermarket magnetic ones, assuming that the ford unit used the same antenna conncetors as the aftermarket units. As I type this I'm trying to decide whether to call my salesman to see if he can delete the option on the car that I ordered last week.
Does anyone know if there is an auxilary input on a Shaker 500 unit? If so, my decision is made as I will just use my aftermarket XM Roady unit in the new car.

in 20 years (when these cars are just collectibles) those two unfortunately placed holes will become important distinguishing features for the future Shelby aficionado.

Mine is being built this week with the Sirrius option. So it is to late for me to cancel. I dont think I would though. I have seen some of the rental cars with the option and the antena is placed very decretely on all of them. I think someone really screwed up on this one.
But if I could justify buying a GT 500 to drive to work everyday, I dont think I would sweat something so easy to fix.