Door Lock Actuator???

Zinc_Tang

Jun 1, 2004
How do you change out passenger side door lock actuator. I have gotten a replacement but I do not know how to get the old one out and new one in. Does anyone have instructions to do this? Thanks, :D

• Sponsors (?)

It's a pain in the ass. I'll tell you that right now.

If you have the Mach system, remove the tweeter. Pry off the cover, then there's one screw holding it in. Use a nutdriver or phillips.

Pop out the handle thing and disconnect the wiring from the window and power door locks. Remove the screws (i think there's 2 or 3) holding the interior panel on. Slide up and off.

I took off the sound dampener paper - makes life a LOT easier.

This is the fun part. You reach in the hole - the actuator is directly below the lock button (the thing that moves up and down I dunno what to call it.) If i'm remembering correctly you have to remove a few hex nuts on the end holding the locking mechanism in place and it will come out somewhat.

Now you just gotta twist your arm in ways you never thought possible without breaking it, and work at it. The old one will pop right off, you will need a flat headed screwdriver to pry it off. After plenty of cursing and yelling, you can get it off then just pop the new one right on.

Now go get some bandages for all the cuts and scrapes you got, and put it back together. That easy!

FYI... I went about a month and a half with my interior door panel off because I got so pissed every time I tried to replace it, I gave up. It took me forever, but it's a lot better than paying the mechanic $200 to do it.

This is a pain in the butt to replace it. I'll try to be as clear as I can, I had to do this about 6-8 months ago. It took me about 2 months before I finally finished it.

First off remove the mach tweeter if you have one.

Then remove the interior handle thing that has the power controls on it.

Remove the screws holding the interior panel on.

Slide the panel up and remove it.

Peel back the sound deadening paper crap (made it easier for me.)

Unbolt the latch from the side of the door.

Now it should slide out easily - but not close enough to the hole to make it an easy job.

Look at your new one and see how it's made, and decide how it fits in. It should pop in, and just have one wire harnes that clips in. Remove that first.

Then take a flat headed screwdriver and you'll see where it pops in, you'll need to pry that loose to get it off. All this inside your door panel, because if you pull it too hard you'll break the whole thing.

Once you get the old one off, the new one will pop right on.

Now go get yourself some band-aids and neosporin. And a bible because you'll need to go ask for forgiveness after all the cussing you do when you're replacing this damn thing.

Put it all back together.

Piece of cake.

If you got a digi cam, take some pics and we'll write a tutorial on this.