Dyno numbers from a 5.4 3V

• Sponsors (?)

Damn that's horrible but not surprising, I've driven a fully broken in 04 F-150 with the 5.4 and honestly, it felt like it had a V6. It felt lke I was towing a 7000lb trailer the entire time, I've never been in a full size truck that was so gutless. I can only imagine how pathetic the truck is with the 4.6, and the 05's have a V6 coming! At least you can get a manual with the 6 though, it'll need it!!

I think it's all due to the ridiculous weight gain the 04 were saddled with and that the 5.4 is over-rated. Although I don't know how Ford could screw up the engine with those great 3V heads.

:nonono:

Z28x said:
I hope that isn't the norm for the 3v 5.4L, if it is the smaller 4.6L 3v might be in trouble.

Interesting developments. I am not sure what the problems are. But my 4.6l Expedition has sufficient power. When I first brought it home from the dealer it felt sluggish. After the shop looked at it then reprogrammed the PCM. Felt like I gained another 20 horses just from that. I am a happy camper. But then again I don't tow anything.

the low rwhp is probably due to the h/d tranny, longer driveshaft, and heavier tires. i saw a new Hemi dyno and it made 240rwhp. so even though the 5.4L is rated at something like 40 less hp, it produces only 15 less rwhp.

Trucks are tuned for Torque not HP. Even in 5.0 Mustang they took a 5.4 Expedition engine and placed that into a 2001 Mustang. It was an easy swap with all things considered. When they ran the engine the base 4.6 was putting out more power. After tuning they were able to get it close to 300 hp mark. I don't know why you would expect power numbers from a truck. I can't imagine the hp leeching from a 4x4 truck drivetrain. I'm sure with all those extremely heavy and high-durability parts you won't see tremendous hp from a stock truck. Even the Ford Lightening and Dodge Ram Srt-10 are geared toward lighter, more efficient parts and built to go fast.

they probably purposely de-tuned the 5.4 just to make better fuel economy. gas prices being as they are and all.

my buddy just got his Kenworth detuned to save a little more on diesel.

I just dont think the people who can afford a new F150 have to worry as much about spending more on gas though.

You could pile 10,000 lbs worth of weight in the pickup bed and it wouldn't effect the trucks dyno numbers. It's measured at the wheel and the only thing that will effect the engines numbers are driveline loss. I doubt the truck was on a 4wd dyno either.

FallenPhoenix said:
no kidding, I got 274lbft from my stock 4.6 :(
That dyno must not be right. 225rwhp is semi-believeable. Figure 225rwhp = maybe 260-280hp at the crank (for a lossy truck driveline). 260-280hp is not spectacular, but isn't awful for a 5.4L ... 50hp/liter.

But 255rwtq, there's NO way that can be right from a ~327ci engine. Even low compression engines choked to death by bad cats in the 70s made more torque than that.

FordTrucks.com said:
The 5.4-liter, TritonTMV-8 engine is designed with three valves per cylinder, variable cam timing and a host of other features that provide increased power - especially at low engine speeds - along with a quieter operation and improved fuel efficiency. It delivers 300 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 365 pound-feet of torque at 3,750 rpm

I don't think even a 4x4 drivetrain could eat up 110lbft.

EDIT: Just realized this is in regards to the '05 F-150 engine so the '04 specs may be lower.

weak!

my measly truck dynos at 275rwhp/470ftlbs STOCK!

why would anyone pay ~35k for a loaded xlt 4x4 sc f150.....when i paid that for a real truck, that puts out nearly twice the torque, and runs 3 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, stock.