dyno & tune or not?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by mike3488, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mike3488

mike3488 New Member

Just got finished putting some upgrades on my 88gt. I have had a bit of a hard time getting idle just right. Went through the entire checklist and everything looks good. A friend who knows quite a bit about fox's suggested I get my computer tuned. Not sure if I should go the dyno route or do just bite the bullet and take it in for a normal tune up, adjust timing and tb idle. Ive done this to the best of my ability but Im not sure if I am running at optimum power with what i've done and the rough idle occasionally still has me thrown.

heres my "budget" upgrades:

A9L Computer
    Cobra upper and lower
    gt40 heads
    bbk shorty headers
    65mm bbk TB
    73mm MAF
    19lbs accel injectors
    Fender mounted BBK CAI

I chose not to do a cam just yet since my next project is rebuilding a newly acquired 306 block. I will be putting a cam in that so i held off in my 5.0 for now.

So heres my question, will I benefit from a dyno and tune or is it not worth the $$ with my upgrades? I heard its a $500 investment.

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

2. 2002BLGT

2002BLGT Well-Known Member

C&L MAFs are sometimes a little hard to get right at WOT and part throttle and idle without a tune , I am in Bedford VA and can do a dyno tune with a Moates chip if you want to save some $$$

3. Gunmetal5oh

Founding Member

What should a decent tune cost?

4. Three50won

Three50won Member

Gunmetal5oh, I've seen places charge from $350 to $600 depending on the car and mods.

mike3488, I don't think you need a dyno tune. I agree with 2002BLGT about the MAF. I'd say either use the stock MAF (since you're using stock size injectors) or get a bigger MAF housing that will allow you to swap you MAF electronics into it.

5. Bullitt347

Bullitt347 man bewbs please...

What is the T/P sensor voltage at idle? Sometimes getting that set right helps the idle speed stabilize where it should be.

6. 2002BLGT

2002BLGT Well-Known Member

If you already have a chip usually its between 250-400 , if you dont already have a chip its going to usually run 600-800 bucks depending on your location , I usually do $450 but that includes Moates chip for cars that I can get done in a timely manner.