Emmison Question

fmd28

Jul 7, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I need some assistance in figuring out if LT's and X-pipes are legal in California. I am currently living in GUAM, no emmision standards, and will be moving to Cali in about 6 months. My 03 mustang GT does have x-pipes with cats and have stock headers. I was about to purchase LT's but I was warned that cali laws prohibit LT's for emmision standards. My exact mods are in my signature.

• Sponsors (?)

LT's are a big bust in CA. You can get BBK shortys-$, or JBA shortys-$$$, but no Long Tubes.
You need a factory h-pipe to pass smog as well. those patriot heads and cams are probably going to fail you right off the back, BUT(and thats a big BUT) If you get it tuned by someone great, then go to their reccomended smog test shop, and you will pass.
Its the police you want to worry about with the LT's more than the Smog people. Depending on where you live many cities, especially in NOr. Cal have street racing task forces that pull over and impound modded cars. Having LT's is like signing your impound sentence, or possible worse.

You should get a pre-test when you smog your stang. That way if your car fails smog it won't come up as a "gross polluter" and require annual inspections. If you have stock cats, you may pass smog. Make sure your CAI and other obvious mods have CARB #'s.

if you are a GP (Gross Pollutor) you do not require an annual inspection, you just have to have your next smog after fixing the GP reason done at a Smog Ref or a Test Only Station.

there are NO x pipes or Long Tubes that are legal in CA currently. note: this is for 96-04 modular mustangs.

if you have any smog questions, ask me, i AM the go to person on this page for smog questions as many other members can attest to.

Ed is the man when it come to Cali Smog. Listen to him. :nice:

bdcardinal said:
if you are a GP (Gross Pollutor) you do not require an annual inspection, you just have to have your next smog after fixing the GP reason done at a Smog Ref or a Test Only Station.

there are NO x pipes or Long Tubes that are legal in CA currently. note: this is for 96-04 modular mustangs.

if you have any smog questions, ask me, i AM the go to person on this page for smog questions as many other members can attest to.

In reality many people pass smog with X pipes that have cats on them, simply because the operator does not spend a lot of time under the car with a flashlight counting cats. Long tubes require more creativity. Many people resort to installing stock exhaust when its time for smog and running the good stuff the rest of the time.

So catted x-pipes are not smog legal. Damn California sucks, unless you live in S.B. like Ed. So JBA unequal length shorty headers and axle or cat back exhaust are okay?