Engine Advice

XxEdgeFactorxX

Nov 10, 2002
hey guys recently my motor developed a knock and my mechanic thinks its a bad rod , the knock happens when the car gets hot and the idle surges and loses oil pressure. My mechanic checked my oil and its got metal chips in it and gas is present. I dont know what I should do, i need advice on what i should do cuz i have a tight budget and i cant do the work myself soo any reccomendations ?

• Sponsors (?)

probably a bad bearing or bearings since it loses oil pressure and/or piston slap. a bad rod will not make bad pressure but bearings will. 9 times out of 10 it's your bearings. had it happen on a 95 v6 that was a bad rebuild

it would be best to fix it now before the crank needs work or replacing. but before that change the oil and put castrol 20w50. it is thick and might help the knock

dastang2 said:
probably a bad bearing or bearings since it loses oil pressure and/or piston slap. a bad rod will not make bad pressure but bearings will. 9 times out of 10 it's your bearings. had it happen on a 95 v6 that was a bad rebuild

i agree it sounds like a bad bearing. when i had my original motor i used to think it was cool to rev the snot out of it even though it actually et'd slower (come on, i needed an excuse for a rebuild :shrug:). one day leaving work i fired it up to hear a little knock :nonono: , oh well, drove home. fired it up that night and drove to the local pizza joint, by the time i got there she started to bang like a mofo so i limped her home. turns out the #5 rod bearing had let go and the piston was getting enough travel to "KISS" the head.

-steve

oh yeah, rebuild it now before you do any more damage. my $.02

hmm ok i will do that so if i have someoine werk on it howe much do you think they will charge ? and i would just have to replace the bearings or what else would i need to do ? For everythign what am i looking at cost wise for parts.

price the parts yourself for a good rebuild kit, summit has some decent ones. Then call around and find out how much labor cost is involved. My buddy got one for his and it cost him about 980 dollars for the whole job. From Summit, he got Eagle pistons and Eagle I beam rods. Good Luck

Having a mechanic do the work will cost about the same price as buying a new engine and putting it in yourself. But if you are mechanicly inclined you can do all the work yourself and save some cash. A good rebuild could cost like 1500 plus labor to put the engine in your car.

thanx alot guys, i was drivin it today and about a hour the knocking stopped....... this is weird I guess it coems and goes ... I found a rebuild kit for like 800.00 from D.S.S I think they have a 331 stroker kit in there . ill tlka ot my mechanic tomorrow hes chargin me 500.00 if i put a motor in it and I have ask how much if he did the rebuild. I do have a friend thats good with cars n stuff but this would be a big project for us and especially i would wnat everyhting done right.